Thursday, May 20, 2010

So take your true loves down to the river, and I will watch you here on the corner

Today was a much better day. The weather was glorious, I didn't have to drive through any dilapidated cities, and, well I guess that's enough to make it better than yesterday.

There were some guys working outside near the windows of my office with a radio playing. It was loud enough that we kept ours off so there wouldn't be a cacophony of competing sounds. At one point, Therese got up and started fiddling with the radio. "Why can't I turn this down?" she asked with a puzzled expression. Sharon and I looked at each and smiled.

"The radio has to be on for that to happen", I said with a barely concealed grin.

"What do you mean? Oh, wait... the music is coming from outside!"

That's our Therese.

There's a woman in our building who leaves paper towels on the floor near the door, much to the frustration of the women in our office. Apparently she's germ-phobic and can't bring herself to touch the door handle with her bare hand, so she grasps it with a paper towel and drops it as she exits. She probably doesn't know that there are way more germs on the door handle leading into the bathroom.

The ladies in my office have never caught the litterer in the act, but they all suspect the blond, pregnant woman who works for the chiropractor. The other day, as I was coming out of the men's room, Blondie was coming out of the ladies room. Guess what she had in her hand? Yup, she was carrying a paper towel. That didn't make her guilty, but it made her the leading suspect, especially since Therese had put up a note in the ladies room asking whoever was leaving paper towels on the floor to stop not two days prior.

Yesterday, I saw her again, paper towel in hand. She's definitely the one, though it's never been made clear to me why everyone suspected her in the first place. Process of elimination? Perhaps. Well, at least, in her own way, she's complying with Therese's request. Did I mention she's very attractive? Well, she is, but why does her appearance matter so much to you?
--

I practiced yoga and went for a run today. And then I went to the laundromat and did some laundry, stopping over at Starbucks and reading from Drood while I waited. I'm bushed. Was going to work on music, but I think I'll take my cue from last night and veg out. Leigh, get another Corona ready - I could use one.

Before I end this, I want to pose a question that's been vexing me. How is it that clothes wrinkle in the same places after a wash? For example, one of the pockets on a shirt I own always bends upward in the same place after it comes out of the dryer. Are these wrinkles the equivalent of cowlicks? Are they encoded in the clothing's DNA? Hmm.... See what a deep thinker I am? Please, if you have an answer to this profound question, leave a comment so that I can sleep again.

Namaste, bitches.

No comments: