Friday, May 14, 2010

Marlena under Foster Grants, she's under cover from the dawn's advance

The Bruins just blew a 3-o lead in tonight's game and consequently blew a 3-0 lead in the series, something that's only happened a handful of times in professional sports. Ever. Heading into the playoffs, not much was expected of this team. Die hard fans were so disenchanted with them, they were hoping they didn't make the playoffs at all. When they did, and when they started playing so well they were hardly recognizable, and when they advanced out of the first round, fans started to believe again. Not much was expected of them, everything was gravy, and there was only one way to ruin the good feelings: blow a three game lead. Bruins fans have just been let down again, but like any victims of abuse, they will take the team back into their loving arms. They always do (I say they because, though I kept an eye on the team all year and watched most of their playoff run, I broke up with The Bruins years ago during a season in which the organization made a lot bad mistakes, the biggest and most painful being the Joe Thornton trade. I still cringe when I summon those dark, dark times.)

I had a feeling they were going to lose, so I read some Meister Eckhart with the game on mute, looking over every once in a while to see if they were playing well. They hardly ever were, so I focused on reading and drinking coffee. I'm not too distraught over the loss, especially since the Celtics schooled the Cavs last night and have advanced to the semifinals. After the game, the sports media locusts swarmed all over Lebron James. They skewered him good, even though he didn't have that bad a game, and questioned his heart, his mettle, his drive, you name it. They dissected every word he said and searched for hidden meanings. I heard Michael Holley say on the radio the other day that those in the sports media shouldn't read too deeply into what athletes say. More often than not, they say what they mean. I watched Lebron's press conference after the game. He was well spoken, direct, even-tempered. Most of the sports media, however, thought otherwise. To them, he had become a selfish, ego maniacal, quitter, and all around bad guy. They prop you up, and they tear you down.
--
I wanted to write about a dream I had and how it got me pondering death and change, among other things, but it's getting late and I'm gassed. I want to watch The Office and perhaps 30 Rock or Lost and read some Drood or Meister Eckhart. Perhaps tomorrow at some point I'll write about that dream. In preparation, I suggest you get at least twelve hours of sleep and brew a potent pot of coffee. This one could be a yawner.

I know, I'm a shameless self promoter.

1 comment:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

I'll stock up on coffee and Red Bull, then! ;)