Wednesday, May 5, 2010

All I want is the truth, just give me the truth

By my tally, I almost got into about eight car accidents today. I had three close calls on my way to work, three more while driving to Lowell and Nashua, and at least four more on my way home. Most were just bad luck situations; I couldn't really fault myself or the other drivers. What the fuck? Oh, and I got a $120 speeding ticket. I am absolutely going to contest it. No, not the best day for driving, but I'm in one piece, so, you know, it could have gone a lot worse. Needless to say, I don't plan on doing any driving tonight lest I tempt the fates too much.

Going to watch the Bruins pretty soon. Sports-wise, this is my favorite time of the year. I've got both the Celtics and Bruins in the playoffs and since basketball and hockey are my favorite sports, I'd be watching the playoffs if those teams weren't in it. Soon will come the dog days, when only baseball will be present. Yawn. It's sacrilege around these parts not to be a rabid Red Sox fan, but I'm not. I appreciate the team and the sport of baseball, but I just don't have the time or the inclination to devote the time and energy necessary to be a full fledged fan. Plus, hockey and basketball are way more fun to watch (Easy, Red Sox Nation- still your hand! Not everyone has the same zeal as you. I still love you, though).
--
That song I've been working on, the one I recently wrote about having a breakthrough with, well, it's coming along, but the going is slow. I'm trying to craft some lyrics that I'm happy with, but it's taking some time. I'm like Def Leppard with their Hysteria album. Hopefully, though, it won't take me six years to complete this song.

You're a prayer uncoiled slow
I want to see your skyline grow

The summer breaks, the summer bleeds
I've got a pair of summer eyes to read

That's what I've got so far. Maybe tonight inspiration will wash over me.
-

Last night I watched Public Enemies, Michael Mann's biopic about John Dillinger. I've always enjoyed Mann's films, even though they often border on being too slick for my tastes, but with Public Enemies, he brought his craft to new heights. There was so much visual poetry in this film that, if I didn't know better, I would have bet Baby Boy Z and my pure heart that I was watching a Terrence Mallick offering. Great cast, too. Johnny Depp - need I say more?
-
Back to baseball. I find it disturbing that so many people are either nonplussed by, or completely in support of, that kid being tazed for running onto the field at a Phillies game. I just watched the clip. There were four or five guys chasing him as he zigged and zagged like a merry dufus. Did he need to be tazed? Really? Seems to me they could have easily apprehended him -- it's not like it's never been done before - and avoided frying his insides. Did the punishment fit the crime?

Our society is so hyper-vigilant about being politically correct to the point where almost every week someone is apologizing for one ridiculous thing or another, but when it comes to physical violence, like tazing, well, that's fine. The fucker probably deserved it, we say. Can you spell desensitization? (Actually, I almost had to spell check it myself). I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe I should be tazed.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I couldn't agree more about the taser incident. Why is that everyone is getting tasered in the last few years?? I think that it is pretty scary the way people HAVE become so desensitized to it. How many people could get tasered as a result of a misunderstanding or a situation that gets blow out of proportion? If that isn't excessive force then I don't know what is? There isn't a baseball season that goes by without a few crazy fans running out onto the field. Toronto's Rogers Center (Formerly Sky Dome) was notorious for streakers but I don't think that they were ever tasered? If they are not hurting anyone fans who charge the field should be treated in a more civilized manner.

I felt like one of the few people who were outraged at the "Don't Tase Me Man!" episode at the John Kerry campaign event in '04. Why should anyone just stand by and let the cops (or a security guard etc) taser them? Seriously, they really need to put the tasers away and find another way to deal with these situations!

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

I agree.... Completely inappropriate... Sounds like cruel and unjust punishment to me.

Kevin said...

That "Don't tase me, bro" incident has been on my mind. It was astonishing how quickly it was made into a joke. And not by accident,I might add. It's a dangerous climate when you get assaulted for doing nothing more than speaking your mind. History illustrates as much.

The insidious appeal of the taser is that it attacks the victim internally. I wonder if people would have been equally nonplussed or supportive if the kid at the Phillies game had a bottle smashed in his face or whipped. They say the taser is a "humane" weapon, but I don't believe it. I'm not against using it as a last resort, especially if it's the alternative to shooting someone, but, sadly it's being used as a first resort too often.

Ladies, I'm glad you feel the way you do about this subject. It's reassuring.