Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's all you need, so believe me honey, it aint a crime to be good to yourself

I guess it's a good problem to have, but I've reached a log jam of sorts with recording. I've got a welter of songs I can put down, but my progress is slow. Since I purchased my 8-track, I've done a lot of recording, but nothing is complete. Frustrating, but I'm plugging away.

I'm not going to lie to you - Paranormal Activity spooked me a bit, enough that it affected my sleep pattern. Mind you, I wasn't trembling under the covers like Shaggy, or his pal, Scooby Doo, but I did tend to be hyper-sensitive to any noise I heard. Spira, who has had her own paranormal issues and is a world class chicken baby when it comes to scary movies, should definitely not watch this film, though I must admit I'd love to convince her to watch it with me just so I can get off on watching her get scared. I know, I'm a cruel man, but remember: my heart is as pure as the driven snow.

Most "scary" movies don't scare me much. To this day, The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby creep me out. The Blair Witch Project spooked me a bit, too, but that was more of a one trick pony I think (I'll find out soon if I'm correct. I bought it on DVD a couple of years ago for like three bucks and still haven't watched it. I'll have to do something about that). The Shining used to scare me, but when I watched it recently, I still found it unsettling, but it didn't leave me with that heavy dark feeling the way the aforementioned movies do.

For a movie to have a shot at spooking me, it should be as realistic as possible, and by realistic I mean the presentation and not the subject matter. And don't show and tell me everything; give away as few secrets as possible. Our imaginations can conjure far worse frights than what we see on the screen. That's why Jaws was so effective. Paranormal Activity would have been a joke if its demon was visible, was known. And the more we knew about it, the less scary it would become. In one regard, the movie worked because the main characters and, by extension the viewers, had no idea what it was exactly that was terrorizing them. It's hard to rationalize something beyond our ken. So, yes, I was a bit spooked by the movie, despite the kind of lame ending (I won't spoil it, but, while it wasn't bad, I wish they would have gone with the alternate ending that was on the DVD. It was a much braver and more appropriate choice)

The Celtics are on. Rondo's performance in the Mother's Day game was jaw dropping, but I think Lebron and company are going to bring the pain to the C's tonight. I hope I'm wrong. I thought the Bruins were going to clinch their series against the Flyers, but they played undisciplined, lazy hockey and lost the game handily as a result. I'd hate for them to blow a three game lead and lose the series. That would make me feel all sorts of lousy.

Man, have I been horny. I won't say anything beyond that, but it needed to be said. Really? It needed to be said, you ask? Ok, you got me: it didn't need to be said, but I said it and you're just going to have to deal with it. You can ignore it, try to help me in some way (remember I'm straight, gentleman), or be disgusted at how crass and immoral I am. I suggest you shoot for all three options.

No, I won't elaborate on the details concerning my being "in heat". Instead, I'll go off quietly and dump about fifty pounds of ice in the tub and cool off. And then, having shocked the life out of my libido, I'll watch some Celtics a new and duller man.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You're doing it again! Now, what have I told you about the T.M.I. Mr. Casey? :oP

But, seriously, I think that you are right about scary movies and how they are definitely more frightening and disturbing when they actually let your own bizarro mind do the work. I am glad to know that I am not the only person who is squeamish about horror movies! I have never been the kind of person who could just go out and see a movie before reading about it or talking to others who've already seen it. There are some things that you can never "unsee", so to speak. (Hmmm...? I suppose that I am contradicting myself a little bit here, but I guess what I am trying to say is that yes the psychological thriller can be scary and disturbing but sometimes I can tolerate those more than the movies that just go for the straight out violence and guts.)