Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold

We have our heat back, but it's still a no go as far as far as the hot water is concerned. That meant a cold shower for me after my run tonight. It wasn't terrible, but it felt like my head was in a vice grip when I rinsed the shampoo from my hair. Which, in case you're wondering, is not a pleasant feeling.

I'm expecting two books in the mail, both of the Fortean variety. The first is called Cryptoterrestials, by Mac Tonnies. Its thesis can be summed up from this passage in the book:

"Aliens," whether perceived as gnomes or fairies or demons or even humans (as in the case of the mysterious airship sightings of the late 19th century), may be forced to appear as they do by the cultural biases and limited expectations of the witness. Thus we have a pageant of fantastic beings of all descriptions: robot-like monsters, winged entities such as the infamous "Mothman," furry giants, all manner of "little men," and of course the ubiquitous "Grays." However, most if not all of the above may share a common psychical origin; only by appealing to our collective unconscious can they take form at all. As such, they constitute an ongoing waking dream; they are "true hallucinations" -- quantum composites that, while objectively real (as revealed by physical effects on the environment), demand a level of unconscious participation on behalf of their wide-eyed spectators.

I love it. Let me at it! The next book is called Impossible Visits, by Chris Noel, and concerns itself with people's interactions with Sasquatch at habituation sites. I've debated for a while whether to give this one a shot because I'm not interested in obvious tall tales. I've done a lot of research on the author and have come to the conclusion that he's a serious researcher and author in his own right. What sold me was watching some of his mini documentaries. He's come up with some compelling bits of evidence in support of the existence of Sasquatch. I'll let you know how the book turns out. I know it will be well written: I was listening to an interview he gave on a radio program about writing and he read a passage from the book. I was impressed.

Off to Mara's place to watch Lost. I never got around to The Big Lebowski last night and don't expect to tonight. I've got Cache to watch, too. Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I don't have to wonder about it because I know exactly what you are talking about in regard to rinsing your hair in ice-cold water because I had to do that during our most recent power outage. (And now this is the part where I give YOU too much information) I decided to forgo the actual shower part because I have low tolerance for cold water and also because I had nowhere to be. (Despite the fact that I also have a low tolerance for being smelly) However, if I don't wash my hair my scalp becomes intolerable. So, in my case I was simply washing my hair over the bathroom sink and OH MY GOD was that cold! It was like instant brain freeze and I had no idea that it would be quite that painful! Quite an experience it was. One I won’t soon forget. Fortunately, NH (or most of it) dodged a bullet from this latest wind/rain storm only a small number of residents lost power. T.G. !

Kevin said...

The lot of you in New Hampshire deserved a break this time around for sure. I'll tell you this: anyone within a five mile radius probably heard me yelping and groaning in the shower today. It did serve to put me in an alert state of mind, so there was that at least.

It's weird Kate, but when people ask me what you're like, the first thing I tell them is you have a low tolerance for being smelly. Maybe that could be your headstone: "She had a low tolerance for being smelly". I like it. :)