Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I dig love

Been in the grip of a nasty sinus infection. At times it's manageable, almost to the point where I think the worst is over and then another wave of pain arrives and it's all I can do to maintain. Mostly, though, I feel weak and tired. I'm not new to this: I know I'll get better, but it's a hard road.

I attended my first Seder last night at Mara's place. Didn't really know what I was getting into, but that was half the fun. Bridget and I were the only goyim, or non-Jews, and were seated together like two foreign exchange students. I had eaten a little pasta beforehand in anticipation of having to wait a while before eating. That saved me. I was feverish as it was, and probably would have passed out otherwise.

Mara led the proceedings and, even though I didn't grasp some of what was going on, I found it quite interesting. Everyone at the table, at one point or another, helped explain what was happening to Bridget and me. We made it through in one piece. The only rough point was eating horse radish and some sweet nut concoction between two pieces of mozza. That was rough.

Overall, it was a good time. Plenty of interesting conversation. I found out Alister, his wife, Jane, and Bridget are Unitarians. I may attend a service in the future. Mara read a vignette from a book her uncle wrote about their family's Holocaust experience. Equally moving and terrifying.

Later, I drove Bridget home and we shared our impressions of the Seder. Unlike me, she hadn't eaten anything beforehand and, because she has gerd (severe and constant acid reflux), it was tough going for her drinking wine and eating horseradish on an empty stomach. She took it all in stride, though, and didn't suffer any ill effects. During the ride, she told me how she writes her dreams on her sheets when she wakes up. I was tempted to ask if she'd show me, but, for obvious reasons, I abstained.

Ok, I'm fading fast. Had more to cover, but will leave it for another day. Tomorrow looks to a great day weather-wise; maybe it'll be a great day for me health-wise. Let's hope so.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I am sorry to hear that you are sick Kevin but I do hope that you will be feeling better soon! However, I am glad that you enjoyed yourself at the Seder. That is something that I have never done but I have always been curious about experiencing other cultures' religious traditions. I don't know anyone who is Jewish so I don't know if I ever will have that experience.