Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oh, the weather outside is frightful

Late morning, I walked to the garage to pick up my car. More than once the wind nearly blew me off my feet. I had a tiny umbrella for protection and the weather abused it so much I thought it was a goner. It remained intact.

My car. Among its numerous issues, one of them was getting worse by the day. My engine had taken up the practice of misfiring, at first only up steep hills, then when it rained, and finally all the time. On my way up to Nashua yesterday, my car barely made it up a hill and the engine light went on. And stayed on. At the registry, I called Marcy and told her I'd be heading back to Somerville, provided my car made the trip, and was going to drop it off at the garage I go to. My reasoning was sound: I would drop the car off - by that time it would be late afternoon- and the mechanic could look at it then or in the morning. Either way, my plan was to pick up the car and head to work after the snow had done its thing. And that's what I did. Oh, like I suspected, I needed new spark plugs, plus filters. A cool $350.00. For those of you keeping track, that's $450.00 in less than a week. And I'm not done yet. No, sir. There's always more. Hopefully not for a while. Ah, but I still have affection for the old girl.
-
Last night Foley stopped by with some rum and eggnog and helped decorate the tree. I'm pretty sure he was tipsy when he showed up (don't worry, he didn't drive; he live a couple of blocks away). We had fun. Rich even joined in the festivities. He even got to do the thing most dear to him in the whole wide world: weather proof the windows with plastic.

Once we were finished with the tree, two things were apparent to me: 1. Foley was beyond tipsy and 2. Foley wanted him some Janelle. No doubt in my mind about the latter. The signs were there in full bloom. The thing I'm not so sure about is whether he's about to do the ol' full court press when it comes to vying for her affection. Is he over his current crush now that she's made it evident that she's not interested? I don't know. It all remains to be seen. He's in love with love. That much I know. And in this age of disillusionment, that's not necessarily such a bad thing.

The best, and creepiest, part of the evening was discovering Janelle's Santa ornament. I've never seen anything like it. It's rubber, with bendable parts; skinny, bordering on anorexic; face blood red, including the beard and most of its head; and the coup de grace: beady eyes, black as the day is long. I've never seen a more Satanic rendering of anything in my life. Janelle placed it atop the tree. Our star, it is. And fucking evil. I can't stop thinking about the little demon.

The new blog is set up. Putting the final touches on the first entry. Maybe a day or two longer. I know, I know: you're absolutely dying to lay your eyes on it. Patience, dear readers, patience.

On that note, going to watch another episode of a show I'm not sure I like very much, but one I can't seem to stop watching: Californication. Mara had it right when she said watching the show was like eating candy. True dat.

Movies on the horizon:

1. Knife In the Water

2. Barry Lydon

3. Let The Right One In

4. Land Of Silence And Darkness

5. Dog Day Afternoon

6. Point Blank

7. College

8. La Vie En Rose

9. Point Blank

10. Half Nelson

And these are just the ones on Netflix Watch Instantly. I better start watching some movies or....or I don't know what will happen. Probably nothing.
-

No comments: