Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm just a station on your way, I know I'm not your lover

Today flew by. I had plenty to do and didn't stop working until quitting time. I was so busy that I never got around to changing the radio station from the Christmas music we've been hearing non stop since Thanksgiving to ....well, anything would have sufficed. Sharon and I have both expressed our desire to hear substantially less Christmas music, but haven't pressed the issue because we know Therese really enjoys listening to it. And, for the record, I don't mind it so much, except that we hear the same songs at least three times a day. I don't know about you, but hearing anything fifteen times a week can get a bit redundant. But when it's the likes of The Chipmunks spreading the holiday cheer, it's downright agonizing. One thing is for sure: this will not go on much longer. We'll be listening to The River soon enough. Bring on The Spin Doctors!

My dad saw the dog again and called its owners. He got in touch with someone who turned out to be a friend of the theirs. He was told they've been flooded with calls from all over town, which may explain why they never called me back. Apparently, this dog hasn't been easy to catch. Seems he likes his independence. And why not? According to the woman my father spoke to, the dog is being fed twice a day by a family that lives a few streets away from my parents. Not only that, but the pooch has been courting a dog on another street. The only shitty aspect to his life is the fact that he chose to run away from home in November. Should have waited until Spring. But still, he's living the dream.

I've been lucking out with movies lately, particularly ones that have been beautifully shot. I've already expressed my admiration for The Gospel According To Saint Matthew. Last night I watched about half of Kobayashi's Kwaidan and was highly impressed. The film is a collection of centuries-old Japanese ghost stories and, man are they something to watch. Everything was shot on sets, which gives everything a dream-like feel. It's like the film was shot inside a painting. Kobayashi is my new favorite director. Samurai Rebellion was incredible and now this. Tonight, I watch the rest. I am about to embark on a Kobayashi film festival. Come join me.

Another film I saw was the Czech director, Jan Svankmajer's Alice, a bizarre take on Alice In Wonderland. It's filmed mostly with stop-motion animation and is pretty damn surreal. Worth checking out if you're looking for something different.

I finally finished watching Six Feet Under. What a ride it was! Sad, saying goodbye. Moving on, I watched a few episodes of Californication, a show that has been recommended to me by several people. As far as I can tell, the show is pretty much about David Duchovney's character, a washed up writer, fucking every single woman he comes in contact with, barring his daughter and ex -wife, though that's a sure bet down the road. It's just him fucking. Constantly. He's sitting in traffic. A hot blond pulls up beside him and throws a piece of paper with her name and phone number into his lap. Next scene: he's fucking her. I don't mind fucking, in fact I'd like to be doing more of it, but c'mon now, the show has to be about something more than that! Ah, but I give it too little credit. There is nuance, and the writing is crisp, and I am finding, with subsequent episodes, that there is more substance than I initially thought there would be.

Breaking news: I have a new blog in the works. I've called it Subterranean Hills and it will be a landing spot for stories, lyrics, poems, rants, you name it. Once I complete the first entry, I will post a link. Are you excited? Me, too.

No comments: