Monday, November 9, 2009

Swan, swan, hummingbird, hurrah!, we are all free now

A productive weekend, music wise. It was slow going, always is when I'm work on lyrics, but I got some stuff done. I also watched a bunch of Dexter episodes. I am truly impressed with the construction of this show. I wish more shows were this well done. I still have a ways to go before I catch up to Mara and Jessica, her roommate, but at the rate I'm going, I'll be ahead of them in no time.

I also watched Ghost Town, which turned out to be pretty good. I wouldn't have rented it if Ricky Gervais hadn't been the lead. Greg Kinnear and Tea Leoni were also in it and were very good. If it wasn't for those three, it would have been slightly less than average. You know who else was in it that was funny was... oh, shoot, she's on SNL....really talented and hot....Kristin Wig? I think that's her name. Anyway, she made me chuckle.

Jessica was asking me about my perverted neighbor Stan. Turns out he has a room right next to her in the Vernon Street studios and has been trying to assemble a group of artists for some reason or other. "Shall we begin with the chronic nudity?", I asked.

It was Open Studios this weekend and I passed Stan's room on my way to visit Jessica. I thought about stopping in, but decided against it. As far as he's concerned, I don't exist. I don't have the necessary accoutrements, so to speak, to garner his attention. Janelle, and all the other women on our block he's taken a perverted shine to, can have him. Sorry, ladies.

I hung with Jessica for a bit. She's a gifted painter and has moved on to weaving. She doesn't fool around, this one. She went out and bought a ginormous loom off someone and assembled it, in all its intricate detail, using only faded polaroid pictures of it put together.

She gave me a tutorial on how to weave. Very interesting. I came to the conclusion, and I'm pretty sure she has to, that, under a different set of circumstances, we'd probably hook up in some capacity. Considering she has a boyfriend and I used to go out with her roommate, not much is likely to happen.

Tonight, I'm going to finish watching High & Low, Kurosawa's adaptation of Ed McBain's novel, Kings Ransom. Great movie. Mifune, like in most every film he was in, rocks the hizzy. Oh, and of course there will be some Dexter.

And, maybe I'll read from Erickson's Reaper's Gale, a book I've returned to after putting it down a few months ago. Even though I'm about seven books into the series, I'm still not sure how I feel about his writing. If I haven't yet, I'm not sure I ever will.

I went to the book store in Porter Square yesterday and almost picked up Bill Simmon's Book of Basketball, but when I saw that it went for thirty smackers, I quickly nixed that idea. Same went for Robert Jordan's The Gathering Storm and Daniel Abraham's The Price Of Spring. I've got enough books to keep me busy for a while. Perhaps when I've got some extra change, I'll shell out the cash. It will be worth it. Reading is good for the mind.

Going to try and assemble some people to go see Scrooge some time this week. If I go, it'll be my first ever 3D movie! Ooh la la.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I am telling you Kevin (and I tried to tell Kreg the same) that Amazon.com is the way to go with purchasing books. (And many other things too) Very often if you spend more than $25 you can get free shipping. So it is usually best to combine purchases and go for the free shipping. But the selection is great and you can usually choose from several different vendors so you might not have to wait that long to receive it. I've been ordering textbooks from them for about a year now and I have been very happy. Just a suggestion...

Kevin said...

Preaching to the choir, but thanks for the tip. I order through Amazon a lot. I've bought books for a penny (minus shipping, of course).