Saturday, November 14, 2009

Here's where the story ends

It's about two a.m. Craig just left, Spira an hour or so before him. We had gone out for dinner at the burger place in Davis. Had conch balls for the first time in my life. Not bad. I had eaten a salad for dinner earlier, so I only picked at appetizers while Craig and Spira ate their burgers. We hung out at my place afterward. No A Christmas Carol tonight as we had loosely planned, but I'm sure I'll get around to seeing it soon. Or not.

Two bits of pleasing news: 1. Stephen King plans on writing a new Dark Tower novel
2. A Trader Joe's is opening up in Fresh Pond.

It's safe to say Dexter is one of my favorite shows. Initially, before I knew much about the show, I had little interest in watching it. Then I got around to watching an episode and the rest is history.

Book talk:

About three quarters of the way through The Brothers Karamazov. It's really picked up and I'm getting the impression I may want to read it again some day.

Plugging away at Erickson's Reaper's Gale, a fan favorite but one I'm having difficulty with. I think I want to like it more than I do, but saying that I think the best course of action is to reserve judgment until I finish the book.

It may be that I pick up a new novel this weekend. We'll see. I've got a lot of books on the back burner I could give attention to. No need to spend the money on something new. Still....

I think it's about time I give Hamlet another go. Or Macbeth. Or both.

Been thinking back to how wonderful an experience reading Larry McMurtry was. I'm craving a similar experience but haven't been finding it. Maybe that's why he's one of my favorite authors.

Music:

Been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd. Mostly Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. Because I've been learning Shine On You Crazy Diamond and consequently listening to it a lot, it's constantly in my head. I'm not complaining. What a great song.

Whenever the new Nora Jones song comes on the radio, I smile. It's a fine song, and a little different than her usual stuff. I don't smile, and instead furrow my brow and frown, whenever I hear the likes of Bare Naked Ladies, OAR, Red Hot Chili Peppers (anything after the Dave Navarro record. Almost everything after that is limp-dicked and a waste of time. And Anthony Kiedis's voice is horrible when he tries to get all serious and "sing". No, his voice works best over hyper funk), Goo Goo Dolls, .........ok, enough! I'm getting sick to my stomach writing about these bands.

At this moment, I'm sad I don't have a companion. Ah, well I'm sure she's out there, somewhere, and we'll meet and become inseparable until one of us dies. And even then, even then, our bond will hold.

I hope I meet her soon. I'm tired of the single life.

Going to watch Samurai Rebellion at some point this weekend. And at some point, meaning this point, I'm going to end this and try do other stuff before the need for sleep overtakes me.

No comments: