Tuesday, June 23, 2009

You can have everything if you let yourself be

On the road today, I listened to an interview with Phil Jackson on NPR. I'm no Lakers fan, but I admire Phil Jackson, so I was pleased to have stumbled upon the segment. One reason I admire him is because he's the Renaissance Man,of the NBA. Pat Riley's close, so is Doc, but Jackson's got them beat. Here's a guy who assigns books to his players throughout the season. He gave Paul Gasol, a native of Spain, Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises to read. Anyway, it was a refreshing interview; my brain was actually stimulated. A rare result when it comes to talk radio.

I think I'd like Bob Dylan about forty percent more if his albums, especially the early ones, didn't have harmonica on them. I know it's sacrilege to criticize the man in some circles, but his harmonica playing stinks. Harmonica, when played well, sounds good, but overall, it's not, at least to my ears, a pleasing instrument. I just had Blond on Blond playing in the background and had to switch something else (David Crosby's fine debut) because I couldn't stand the harmonica. Maybe it's just me.

Books I'm currently reading:

By Sorrow's River, by Larry McMurtry. The third installment of the Berrybender Narratives. So, so good. Like candy. It's my lunch book and I'm almost through with it. I'll have to hit up Amazon for the fourth, and final book in the series, Folly and Glory.

Fall Of Thanes, by Brian Ruckley. Third book in a gritty, uncompromising trilogy. I'm constantly amazed at the lukewarm reception this series has garnered. It's so well written. I will buy anything he publishes.

The Field, by Lynne McTaggert. I'm not a hundred pages into it, but I feel like I've learned about a thousand pages worth. Dense, thought provoking -- rather than daydreaming about silly things that involve people I know in absurd situations, basketball, or sex, I've been pondering the nature of existence, thanks to this book.

Sasquatch, by John Green. A thick, well documented, casebook of all things Bigfoot. Green is one of the elder statesman of Bigfoot research, and because of his background in journalism, probably the best writer of the bunch. This book is considered to be the bible of the subject.

There are other books I've been chipping away at, but these are the ones I go to the most often.

All this talk of Rondo and Ray Allen being traded is making me wonder if the rumors are legit. Hate to see them go, especially Rondo because he's so unique and young.

Better go watch Six Feet Under so I can send the disc on it's way back to Netflix. Been a while since I've had something new arrive.

No comments: