Sunday, June 14, 2009

Scarred old slaver know hes doin alright, hear him whip the women just around midnight

An eventful weekend. I spent Friday evening rehearsing between reading and meditating. Most of the songs I had slated for my set were new and needed lyrics. Could have thrown in some older songs to make my life easier, but I really wanted to play the new ones live.

Went to my parent's house Saturday morning to attend my mother's birthday party. My sister was there with her kids and their attendant . It was a nice visit, but I wanted to get back and finish assembling the songs I didn't complete the night before. We had pizza for lunch and birthday cake for dessert.( An aside before I continue: Over the last several years, I've noticed a lot of cakes are being topped with that light, chemical-ey, stuff I hesitate to call frosting. My family was pretty vocal yesterday about how good the cake was, frosting and all, which made me consider the possibility that I was adopted, because the cake was disgusting. How hard is it to make a tasty cake? Bring me back to the days when frosting was rich, thick, and heavy. And natural!)

I came home later that afternoon, later than I intended, and set myself to work. I didn't pressure myself too much, especially considering the gig later that night was going to be pretty low key, with short sets for the performers. I did what I could and about a half hour before I needed to leave, I did a run through of the songs. It wasn't pretty, but I was confident once I got on stage, things would go well, as often is the case.

Janelle and I headed over to P.A.'s in the nick of time. I was scheduled to be the first performer and was there only about ten minutes before I was summoned to the stage to do a quick sound check before my performance. I was relieved there was a sound guy and a decent p.a. was going to be used. I liked the room, too, which was separate from the bar and it's attendant commotion.

I was pleased with my set. I was also pleased with the reception I got. Expecting a lot of chatter while I played, I didn't notice any. When I first began playing, some people were talking, but soon they grew quiet, attentive. You can't ask for anything more as a performer. I could also hear myself, which was an added treat.

Foley and Luke Warm played a short set after me. They sounded great. I won't slag the performers I didn't like, but I will say, and maybe this is because I'm biased, my favorite performers of the night were my friends.

Luke Warm crashed at our place. We hung out for a while before sleep started to overtake him. Spira and Brad came over this morning and we had a big, tasty breakfast of fruit, eggs, home made waffles, bacon, and sausage. It was good having everyone together.

We found out this morning from a neighbor that our landlord is in the hospital. She fell the other night and called her brother, who in turn called her an ambulance. She needed to go to the hospital anyway, because her feet have been purple and swollen recently. She resisted people's pleas for her to see a doctor, so perhaps her fall was a blessing in disguise. Hope she fares well.

Watched Harold & Maude with Mara this afternoon. I hadn't seen it before, a fact most people have been rendered incredulous upon hearing. I liked it quite a bit, but probably won't ever have the passion many others have for the movie.

I am tired. Might watch an episode of Six Feet Under, a show I've never seen, which, as with Harold and Maude, surprises people when I tell them. That show has its fans, to be sure. I might end up just reading and hitting the hay a little earlier than usual.

No comments: