Saturday, February 7, 2009

Make him watch me take his place, night has brought him something worse

Janelle, Baby Boy Z, and I went to Barnes & Noble last night. I picked up Suttree and saw on almost every shelf books I want to read. If I live another thirty years, I doubt I'll have read all the books on my wish list, as it is now constituted. Can't get to everything, but I'd like to try. What else am I going to do on this earth?

At work yesterday, Ellen and I were discussing Bogart films. We expressed our admiration for his costars; in particular Sydney Greenstreet, Lauren Bacall, and an actor's name we couldn't summon until Ellen burst out "Peter Lorre!". I always forget his name, though I admire him so. Later, at Barnes & Nobles, I opened up Catcher In The Rye and the first two words my eyes landed on were Peter Lorre. Whatever the attendant meaning, if there even is one, I always like it when things like that happen. Reminds me to be in awe of and puzzled by the machinations of existence.
--

Today, I ran a few miles -- more than I expected. I thought yesterday that I was coming down with something --- I was lethargic all day --- and was doubtful I'd have enough energy for a run in my immediate future. I managed fine, though, and enjoyed the warm weather that brought everyone out of their domiciles and teased of things to come.
--
I'm listening to Arise Therefore, the first album I ever heard from Will Oldham, and among my favorites of his. Luke Warm turned me on to it years ago when we were young and our hearts were open books, and ever since, I've been a big fan of his output.
--
My Elmore Leonard books arrived in the mail on back to back days. The first one to arrive was Hombre, and I'm almost halfway through it. Leonard is great with dialog and keeping things lean, like Robert Parker with his Spenser novels. Valdez Is Coming, the second of the two books, looks to be good, too.
--
Sure, the Lakers beat the Celtics the other night, but it was still a wonderful game to watch. The Truth/Kobe matchup was tight and Eddie House was dropping threes like a man who could do naught else in his life. I hope they meet again in the finals.
--
Mara's father and stepmother are in town this weekend from NYC. Her friend Alister, who is friendly with them, is hosting a brunch for them tomorrow because Mara's place is too small to accommodate everyone.

I'm invited and plan on attending the event. I've never met her family and wonder how I'll be received. I suspect things will be fine, but I did break up with her and because we still hang out (a sometimes complicated affair, as you might guess), they might be suspicious of my intentions. No, as I said, things should go fine; he's a big basketball fan, for Pete's sake! I doubt I'll be ambushed --- her father, by all accounts sounds friendly and caring --- and if I am, so what? I'm not even seeing his daughter anymore. Not as if I'll have to contend with him during the holidays.
--
Will try to watch some MadMen episodes and Tokyo Story this weekend, in case you're wondering. And if you're also wondering when this post will reach its conclusion, I have news for you: we have reached the end. So go down tankards of ale at your local tavern and tell everyone about me, the sexiest, most pure-hearted son of a bitch you've ever encountered. Doing so will get you laid. Trust me on this one.

No comments: