Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lay down your head awhile, you are not needed now

I was fiddling with my new phone last night during Lost, though I tried not to. The episode was compelling and maintained the standard of greatness this season has thus far produced, and, consequently, my attention was mostly on it, rather than the phone. O' Locke, will ye rise from the tragic ashes and claim your birthright?

The phone. My old one lasted me five or so years and was finally starting to succumb to wear and tear. What compelled me to get a new phone, beside the fact that mine had become embarrassingly antiquated, was the certainty that it would soon fall apart. A piece of it, right over one of the hinges (it's a flip phone) came off the other day and, ever since, the phone won't close easily and when open, it dangles. When the word dangle settles into matters, it's time to move on.

So, I got another phone. It's an LG Shine, and I got it free with my plan. I'm still exploring it's features, which include mp3, internet access, and the requisite camera, which my last phone lacked. And there's more, but I haven't gotten that far in my education yet. So far, I can safely say, on a scale of one to rad, this phone is rad. And, as you know by now, I don't bandy about the word rad wantonly. Nor do I the word wantonly. Or bandy.

Along with the phone, McMurtry's The Wandering Hill arrived in the mail yesterday. I was glad I had the foresight to order it last week; I had made quick work of Sin Killer -- finished it a couple of days ago and didn't have much of a wait before the next installment. I started it last night, and I better order the next one soon, because I'm already well into it.

Ken Scholes' Lamentation, arrived in the mail today. These days, the only Fantasy I read is cream of the crop -- Martin, Bakker, Abercrombie, Jordan, etc. -- and this one, Scholes debut, has a heavy buzz around it. Before I bit, though, I read up on the book as much as I could, and it wasn't long before I determined this book has the makings of something impressive. I'm going to try and finish Suttree before I dig into it, but knowing me, I'll cave. Maybe tonight.

Man, that chimp attack that went down in Connecticut has stuck with me. I even had a couple of dreams about it. Y'know, I think I'll move on to another topic; this one's too much of a downer, and I'd rather my mood remained cheery, at least for the time being.

Hope, now that I've been feeling better, to work on some music with Foley. Now that we live so close to each other, this should be an easy enough thing to do.

Mara's been hooked on a particular brand of bacon over the last week or so and has been talking it up so much that I've been craving it. We're having dinner tomorrow night and in an email she informed me that "Bacon Surprise" will be the main course. I don't know what the surprise is, but it looks like I'll be eating some bacon soon.

The other night, I came downstairs to the living room, turned on the light, and grabbed a book I had left on the couch. I then went to the bathroom. A couple of minutes later, I went back to the living room to shut the light off and saw that the TV was on, displaying a Bruins game in progress.

This is what happened. Rich, from his bedroom, heard me in the living room. He wanted to use the living for the purpose, we find out later, of watching the Bruins game. When I went to the bathroom, he took advantage of the opportunity, like any scoundrel would, and tiptoed into the living room, turned the TV on, and scurried back to his bedroom. Like a mangy, duplicitous, street dog, he had marked his territory. That flaxen-haired scamp, that craven wretch!

Initially,I wasn't too bothered because I had no intention of watching TV in the first place. However, when I thought about his skullduggery, I became a little peeved. For all he knew, I was planning on returning to the living room after using the bathroom. I left the light on, after all. So, basically the sneaky little rat, rather than asking me what my intentions were regarding the TV, pulled a fast one on me.

Ah, roommates.

Ok, I'm off to watch some Madmen, play some music, do some reading, watch the Spinal Tap commentary(with the band -- hilarious) -- that type of stuff.

No comments: