Monday, February 16, 2009

I put my fingers against the glass and bowed my head and cried

Even though I got plenty of sleep, I woke up this morning feeling as if I didn't and was not able to shake my fatigue for the rest of the day. Maybe it was because it was Monday or because I had leftover pizza for breakfast or because Ann wasn't in, but my feeling was that it was a cold I was catching. I came home a little early and took a nap. I didn't run or practice yoga, not wanting to overdo it in case I really was getting sick. Post nap, I feel pretty good; let's see what the next day or two look like.

My weekend was low key. On Friday, I paid close to twenty dollars for two roses -- one for my mother and one for grandmother -- in Andover and cursed the place for fleecing me. I didn't have the time nor the inclination to pursue a better deal, though I'm sure they were out there.

On Saturday, I stopped at my grandmother's house to visit. My parents were there to take her out to lunch and my sister and her kids were present to collect their Valentine's Day booty, which was of prime importance to my mother and had caused some friction between mother and daughter, the details of which are lengthy and won't be recounted here, praise God. I was there to drop off some flowers and see a family I see less and less frequently these days.

I stopped off at Mara's afterward and gave her a box of chocolates. I had debated whether to get her anything at all; I didn't want to give her the wrong idea, but I also didn't want her to go gift-less on Valentine's Day.

I finished Valdez Is Coming and 1984 . I enjoyed both books. As I approached the end of 1984, I thought "He's not going to get out of this, is he?". I knew the book was going to be bleak, but not to the degree it was. 'Tis why it's a classic.

Sin Killer, the first volume of McMurtry's BerryBender Narratives, arrived on Friday and I put a significant dent in it on Saturday and Sunday. So far, it's been a great read. Love McMurtry!

Watched The Thief of Bagdad the other night. It was a visual treat, it was. Loved the technicolor.

Luke Warm and I helped Foley with some light moving yesterday. His new place is less than a mile from mine and I walked over after breakfast. It went well, except we couldn't squeeze his queen-sized box spring up the stair. He resolved to buy a saw, cut it in half, bring it upstairs, and then join the halves together with metal clamps.

We walked over to Tags in Porter Square for Foley's supplies and then over to Sugar & Spice, where he treated us to Thai food. I had a delicious chicken avocado curry dish. Upon our return to the house, I left the lads to the box spring and walked home.

A good part of my evening was spent on the phone with my sister. I was trying to walk her through the setting up of her Ipod. She doesn't have hi-speed internet where she lives, so she has to use dial-up, and that is why it took so long. We waited over an hour for her computer to download Itunes, until we decided to call it quits. I told what to do when it was completed. For all I know, it's still downloading.

No comments: