Tuesday, February 3, 2009

In 1941 a happy father had a son, and by 1944, the father walks right out the door

More snow. At least once a week, but I have adapted to the deluge and will ride it out till spring. Jeff and Marcy left early today to tend to their respective daughters, both ill from some winter malady. The rest of us left at four. The driving was sloppy and upon my return home, I witnessed Steve shoveling his driveway. No surprise there. I practiced yoga and tried not to become distracted by Steve, who was positioned right outside the window, clearing snow from the sidewalk. I ate dinner to the scratchy rhythm of his shovel. I made coffee, put clothes in the dryer, and went outside to shovel my driveway. Steve was still at it. We exchanged hellos and small talk and went about our business. Mine was finished in less than twenty minutes. Here I sit, over an hour later, and Steve is still outside shoveling. I bet he's been in relationships that have dissolved over his Ahab-like obsession with clearing snow. "Honey, I'd love to spend more time with you, but this is my busy season", I can hear him say.
--
My heart grieves for Frank and his family. They have experienced something terrible and will get through it because they have each other and friends that care about them, but right now I'm sure they are shocked and devastated and in the rawness of anguish.
--
When I finished Blood Meridian the other day, I found online a two part lecture on the book given by a professor at Yale. Fascinating, absorbing stuff. I stayed up well past my bed time Sunday night listening to part one. Last night, though, I fell asleep in the middle of part two. I woke up a little after five and found the place on the video where I nodded off and listened from that point onward. I fell asleep again, but managed about fifteen more minutes worth. I'll try again tonight.

My Elmore Leonard books have yet to arrive, so I've been reading from Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and Moby Dick, two books I was enjoying but put down a while back. I'm itching for more McCarthy, and might redeem a Barnes & Noble gift card towards the purchase of Suttree.
--
It was slow at work today and I talked with Ann whenever I could. There have been moments within a conversation when I've found myself on the verge of asking her out. Happened a couple of times today. Of course, I didn't do it, else I would have begun the post with the news, but I think I'll do something about it at some point. I think about her often; not in a crazed, urgent kind of way, like you might think, but in an easy, serene, way, like any thought that provokes a smile. Sure, there are moments of, dare I say, yearning, but they aren't prevalent, and even if they were, do you think I'd tell you? You'd just tease me over it.
--
Watched Juliet of The Spirits with Janelle the other night. Fellini sure knew how to dazzle with the visuals. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to watching Tokyo Story when it arrives.
--
Nothing more to say, except that I've been listening to a ton of Fleet Foxes, something I recommend everyone do.

No comments: