Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How's your brush and your lady fair, not to mention your stained glass stare

When I arrived at work today, after signing in and turning on my computer, I felt the sense of unease that has not showed its face in a while. A half hour went by before I felt better. Ironically, the rest of my day went well. My mind was crisp and my spirits, while not technically high, were at least airborn. But that half hour or inner torment was no fun. No sir, it was not.

It's a wonder I don't feel more unease than I do. My personal affairs are such that I'm in a constant state of uncertainty. No sense of security for this man. Not yet. And the world at large......well, you don't need me to remind you of its current state and where it's headed. Ah, but it's the little things, which aren't so little when added up, that get me through life. That, and a sense of hope, however naive, that things will improve, that I'll reach a higher quality of life some day. So, yes, like everyone else, I have my shitty moments of despair and suffer hardships of varying degrees, but everything tends to balance out. The sweet and the sour.

Sometime this week, I'm going to watch Au Hasard Balthazar, Robert Bresson's film about a farm girl and her donkey who eventually become separated and share similar paths. It's a film I've been wanting to see for years but never got around to it. Hopefully, it will be a winner.

I Am Legend was much better than I thought it would be, which isn't to say it was amazing, just better than it seemed. Definitely worth the rental. Reminded me of Cormac McCarthy's The Road crossed with 28 Days.

I managed to get a hold of The Bonehunters, the book I attempted in vain to get at Barnes and Noble the other day. Porter Square Books ordered it for me. Only took a day to arrive. Nice! The book weighs about ten pounds. I've got my work cut out for me.

Ok, I'm done with you. I'll leave you with a clip of the baby preacher, who some will argue makes as much sense as the adult ones do.

No comments: