Tuesday, July 22, 2008

And if we make up just to break up, I'll carry on

Nothing of great import to relate, but I'll trudge on anyway. Maybe something interesting will make itself known as a result of my fingers tapping the keys. Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. So, in the interest of keeping sleep at bay for all concerned, I'll try not to be verbose and dull, which, unfortunately, I've been known to be. With that in mind, I'll henceforth engage in a lightning round of thoughts and be done with this business.

---I am loving Harry Nilsson's The Point. It's all hooks. Great, great songwriting. Probably my favorite album of his, at least among the ones I've heard so far. And what a great fable he created. If I ever have children, I will force them to watch and listen to The Point.I'm going to check out the dvd of the story put to animation. In that, Ringo Starr, rather than Harry, who does so on the album, narrates the story. Anyway, brilliant album and I can't get the songs out of my head. Especially this one:



-- I miss you, Janelle. Someone of your caliber needs to be seen on a more regular basis to be truly appreciated. When I think of you, I smile.

-- August looks to be pretty packed, socially speaking. Planning on visiting Bri and Mary up in Laconia, Michelle in Falmouth, my parents in Maine, and the Brittons for their summer bash.

--Just finished The Shadow of the Wind. Thought it was going to be more supernatural and esoteric, but it wasn't. What it was, though, was an engaging, tragic, romantic, and beautifully written book.

--Close to finishing Naomi Wolfe's The End of America, a thoroughly disturbing, yet inspiring call-to-arms.

--Continuing the topic of books, I read a couple of chapters from Lonesome Dove tonight that floored me. This book is so amazing, I only read a couple of chapters at a time in order to savor it. You can't wolf down a delicacy such as this.

--Watched Be Kind, Rewind, the latest Michel Gondry film, last night. As much as I love his other films, this one was a bit of a disappointment. Looked good on paper, at least.

--Had a dream about a hawk two nights in a row. Can't remember the details of either of them. Well, I do remember a hawk attacking people's heads in the first one, but that's all I recall. According to numerous dream interpretation web sites, there are equally numerous, and contradictory, meanings behind the appearance of hawks in dreams. I guess, like me, the hawk is a complex creature.

--There's a good chance that, before the week is out, I'll have seen The Dark Knight again. And maybe this time, because The Somerville Theater has a bar, I'll watch the movie with a cold one in my hand.

Off to watch The Sopranos. Good night, you Princes of Maine, you Kings of New England.

No comments: