Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The best crooner is Rudy Vallee, but for voice control visit Bing Crosby

Last time I saw Foley's wife, Tamsen, we talked about The Golden Girls, her all time favorite show. I found out it was her favorite show when I saw her dvd collection of the show displayed in their living room a while back.I assumed the dvds belonged to Tamsen's grandmother, who lived there, but I was soon disabused of that assumption.

It was at their wedding, oddly enough, when I asked Tamsen who the dvds belonged to. Her face lit up and she proudly told me they were hers, as if they were her children. I guess, in a way, they were, but I'll save the exploration of that aspect of her involvement with the show for another time. Anyway, there she was, in her wedding gown, gushing about her love of The Golden Girls .

Fast forward to the last time I saw her, which was about a month ago, for those of you concerned with the timing of things. We were discussing the Golden Girls and Tamsen was lamenting the passing of Estelle Getty, who, ironically, was the youngest cast member (If you don't know why that's ironic, I suggest you do a little detective work and search for the answer online, because I've already wasted more than enough time veering away from my point, which is looking smaller and smaller the further I get from it, and I don't want to waste any more of it explaining something you should already know.)

I thought to myself, "Estelle Getty is alive and well. Tamsen is plain wrong." I told her as much and she vigorously shook her head with the conviction of someone who ate, drank, and shat all things Getty.

"No, no, no---she died, like last year."

I was pretty certain I was right, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. She was, after all, a big enough fan of The Golden Girls to own all of the seasons on dvd. Well, I feel vindicated, and a little betrayed, now that I know Estelle Getty passed away just the other day. I was completely unaffected when I read the news because I already thought she was dead. I wish I could convince myself the same about Dane Cook and Rachael Ray.

Rest in peace, Estelle. And fuck you, Tamsen, for misleading me.
--

No comments: