Saturday, January 20, 2007

Too much coffee, no cigarettes

Whenever I have strong coffee, I suffer for it. Bob TV makes a powerful brew and every time I accept a cup, like this morning, I forget the beating it gives my psyche. I've gone from joy to despair to anger to joy to despair in the span of an hour. Thankfully, I'm up to the task of managing these zig-zagging emotions; mostly because I know why I'm experiencing them, and that makes the experience more tolerable. But still, I'd prefer to face the day in a steadier fashion. Damn you, Bob TV! The son-of-a-bitch is already on his THIRD cup of the day, and he's as mellow as a kitten. But he's had years of slowly and methodically building up his tolerance, where I'm still a babe in the woods.

Coffee buzz aside, my life lately has been on somewhat of a downward trajectory. I'm being generous by saying somewhat; I'm trying to maintain some positivity . I need Tony Robbins to come over and slap me around for a while. That's what he does, right? I thought so. Could be the winter doldrums, too, but Ive never really succumbed to them. My disposition is such that it thrives in this climate. Misery loves company.

I just found out the other day that HBO has picked up the rights to George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books, and are moving forward with production. The books are a work in progress ---he's currently working on the fifth--- and each season encompass one of them. The nerd in me is absolutely ecstatic over the news. Martin is my favorite author, or to be more specific, A Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite series of books. The story is set in a medieval landscape, not earth, with a massive war building up between different families vying for the crown. Martin's characters are flawed ---there is no good and good evil---and he has no problem killing off characters, even ones that are central to the story. Most of all, he's just a damn good story teller. In my opinion, HBO puts out the best product on TV, and it's blowing my mind that Martin's work will be on the same channel as Deadwood---the best show out there---and The Soprano's, among others. Good to have something to look forward to, especially in the midst of a manic caffeine high.

No comments: