Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Let's take the first bus out of here

This is the first time in days I've been able to write on this site. Every time I'd go to sign in it wouldn't recognize my user name or password. I was also denied access to my hotmail account, Google's home page, WEEI's website (sometimes I listen to sports talk to help drown out the voices in my head) , and portions of Myspace . After checking my internet settings and everything else I could think of, I went into Spira's room and reset our network connection. Worked like a charm; I just wish I thought of it earlier.

Spent New Year's Eve at Luke Warm's place and it was an interesting night. I'd like to go into detail about some of what went down, but by doing so I may end up portraying some people in an unfavorable light, and that's not what I'm about. Nothing catastrophic occurred and no one embarrassed themselves terribly, but there were a few there who were overbearing at times and ended up getting under some skins. But that's what happens at parties sometimes and , my good time wasn't ruined as a result of their behavior. Who can have a bad time when there's a table covered with almost every kind of cheese imaginable, chutney, delicious bread, and Thai potato chips?

Earlier in the night, our friend Pat arrived with a burned cd of Dennis Wison's two solo albums. He brought it because I'd been pestering him about playing it for me since last summer. The albums are out of print and I'd always wondered what they sounded like. Well, I found out, and it was damn good. Of course, it's hard to give anything a serious listen in the middle of a party, but I got a good taste.

Luke's roommate Michael had prepared some toasted bread with hummus and cheese and the running joke was that he had dosed it with ecstasy. That came about because when he took the finished product out of the oven he seemed a little too intent on having us try it. I asked him if he had dosed it, and with no hesitation he responded that he did indeed dose the bread, with ecstasy. Most people got the joke, but as the night progressed, there were whispers that the bread really was dosed with ecstasy. Apparently not many people were in the mood to "roll", because most of the pieces of bread remained untouched.

Around two thirty, the party was winding down and visions of sleep came to the forefront of my thoughts, which were muddled from following my bliss perhaps too much throughout the night. My friend Keith offered to take Spira, Kreg, and me back to my place, and only Spira accepted. Kreg and I opted to walk because, at least as far as I was concerned, the walk would be beneficial in that it would help clear my head and burn some calories from all the food I shoveled down my gullet. And it did help, though portions of the journey were tricky because of all the ice on the sidewalks. We didn't fall down once, which surprised me given the fact that our states were nothing short of altered.
---

I'm thinking of watching Old Boy tonight. A few of us were discussing it at the party and it made me want to see it again. We also talked about Refused are Fucking Dead, a documentary about the demise of the great band. I had never seen it and lo' and behold, I found it on Google the day after the party. Overall, it was pretty good, but it was the performances that made the viewing worthwhile.

No comments: