Thursday, January 4, 2007

Old Boy is back in town

After having a strange dream involving the Illuminati, I woke up this morning with a dry, sore throat. Because almost every human being I know has been sick of late, I muttered a mute "uh-oh", fearing the worst. I drank some orange juice and once that was down, I tried a couple of dry swallows to find out if the throat was still sore. It was, but it's hold on me was fading, I could tell. Within minutes, I was back to feeling hale Another illness averted. Viva Kevin!
---
I was thinking about shaving my head, but when I asked Spira if she would do it for me, she grew wide-eyed and shook her head slowly. " Oh, I don't know if you want me doing that", she said. I remembered her telling me about the botched haircut she gave her sister; maybe she still hasn't gotten over it. She added that my hair looked okay at it's current length, which is to say longer than I've ever had it. I told her it would be easy shaving my head; all she'd have to do is guide the beard trimmer over my skull until the hair that's left is all the same length. Of course, as I was saying this to her I began to have my own doubts, and put off the hair cut. What a Mary, I am. I'll probably end up going some place and paying someone too much money to do what I'd do at home for free.

I was walking to the White Hen earlier tonight and I had one hand in my coat pocket, fiddling with the forward button on my mp3 player in an effort to find just the right song, because "Cecilia" wasn't cutting it. As I was doing this, I noticed the people walking by me looked uneasy. I'm sure they figured I had a gun in my pocket and was about to rob them. I admit it made me feel more confident and self assured, having this implied power over people. I had to remind myself that power corrupts, and if I was going to rob these motherfuckers I'd better get on with it.

One of the best fight scenes I've ever seen is in Old Boy. The fight takes place in a long hallway and is between Oh Dae-su, the main character, and about twelve thugs who are each brandishing a bat, knife, or some other nasty weapon. Oh Dae-su's weapon of choice is a hammer (which he had just used on a poor chap in some dentistry), and he proceeds to beat the shit out of every one of his opponents. As far-fetched as this sounds, it's pulled off with an amazing amount of realism. For example, instead of sounding like a sledge hammer crashing into an oil drum, the punches sound real. And the combatants actually stop throughout the fight to catch their breath. And no one flies (I used to work with this real cool bite-in-the-ass named Thom and whenever I'd recommend a movie to him, he'd ask me if anyone flies in it, and if I replied yes, he wouldn't bother watching it. I knew automatically what he meant about "flying" because this was around the time that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon came out and between that and The Matrix, everyone was flying all over the place---on roof tops, in trees, in the clouds, etc. Thom liked Steve McQueen films and hated the fact that the laws of gravity didn't seem to apply to action heroes anymore. I didn't mind the flying, as long as it was done well, and felt his viewpoint was limiting. Years later, I'm coming around to his side of things. I sometimes find myself channeling Thom as I pass on a film because of it's flying factor.) At the end of the fight, after suffering dearly for being so outnumbered, Oh Dae-su staggers out of the building with a knife in his back and blood soaking through his suit. He barely makes it out to the street before collapsing. Poor guy didn't have much of a good time in this movie, but I did watching it.

2 comments:

Sun Wu Kung said...

I have clippers -- shave your head over here and we'll get pics.

Kevin said...

I'm not sure about the head shaving anymore, but once my schedule clears up, I'd be up for a session. My loin cloth is ready and waiting.