Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Stay gold, Ponyboy

In an earlier post, I commented that there's nothing a golden retriever could do to frighten me. Well, take a look at this fella!I saw him hanging out on his lawn the other day and he looked like he was ready to maul me. I still found him to be as cute as a button and wasn't anywhere close to being afraid of him. Even though he's trying to look all gangsta in the photo, he's not fooling anyone. He went through a little routine of growling and snarling at me, but I disregarded it and started petting and kissing him. I held his chin up to my face and made baby talk. "Oooh, what a cute widdle puppy wuppy", I said. I couldn't help myself. He instantly dropped his tough guy act and returned to his jovial nature. We horsed around for a bit, and then I was on my way.





Later that day, I came across these two thugs who tried putting the fear into me, but I wasn't having it. What was going on? It seemed to me that word had gotten out to the golden retriever community about my feelings regarding them, and apparently they took offense. I understand: I used to hate it when people told me I was cute or that I couldn't hurt a fly. I so badly wanted them to know that I wasn't "cute", I was rugged; and that I could indeed hurt a fly or any other of God's creatures, and in fact had done so, many, many times. But as much as I rebelled against my nature, I've since come to embrace it. I hope those golden's out there I've offended can do the same, because they're so cute and fluffy and playful. And I want them to know that I didn't mean to insult them by my comments --- I wasn't suggesting they were weak or lesser than I was--- I was only trying to illustrate my affection for them. So what do you say, guys--- truce?