Sunday, December 15, 2013

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night

I'm listening to tracks from Vampire Weekend's Modern Vampires of The City and trying to decide if I should purchase it. I'm a fan of the band, to be sure - their first two albums are above average - but, even though Modern Vampires of The City is highly acclaimed (Rolling Stone named it their 2013 album of the year), I'm so far not too enthusiastic about it. That could change; maybe not. Who knows.

But I did go ahead and purchase Daniel Rossen's Silent Hour/Golden Mile EP, something that was a long time coming. Like Elliot Smith before him, Rossen channels the later works of The Beatles without borrowing too heavily. I hope he puts out a full length album; he's my favorite part of Grizzly Bear.

Fucking snow storm last night. Not even winter yet. I don't mind the snow so much, but I do mind the overall climate that's been beating the fuck out of us over the last couple of weeks. Bitterly cold, bleak, and, I'll say it again: bitterly cold. Basically we went from November to February, where it looks like we're going to stay for the foreseeable future. Fuck you, Mother Nature!

Aw, I didn't mean that.

Actually, yes, I did.

I stayed at Spira's last night and we had a little slumber party during the storm. I had gone over earlier in the day while she was at work and practiced yoga. Also read from The Dark Tower and lounged around with Missy D. When Spira arrived, we hung out a bit and then walked through the spitting snow nettles to the Galleria and did a little Christmas shopping.

Back at her place, we made a dinner of quinoa with sauteed mushrooms, meatless apple sausage, almonds, avocado, and pomegranate seeds. Later, we watched the re-broadcast of The Sound of Music featuring Carrie Underwood. I've never seen the original all the way through, but enjoyed this version quite a bit. My curiosity had been piqued after hearing all the harsh criticism regarding Underwood's performance.

Sure, her acting left something to be desired, but it was serviceable and unworthy, in my opinion, of all the criticism. People need to lighten up. I say rock on, Carrie Underwood.

After The Sound of Music, we watched Elf. It was my second time watching it -the first time was years ago - and I think I enjoyed it slightly less this time around. Kept seeing parallels between the story and the New Testament. No kidding. Buddy The Elf/Santa Claus, Jesus/God. Anyway, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Will Ferrel. Is he funny or not?

Craig's coming by in a bit. We'll hang out and I should be alert. Took a nap earlier followed by a cold shower and coffee. So, unless my energy level plummets drastically in the next few hours, I should be alert indeed.

The past week was fraught with a certain heaviness and some frustrating untimely news. It also featured the year anniversary of my father's passing. Still, it wasn't a bad week and I got through it.

Alright, kittens, I'm out. If I see the sun just once in the coming days, it will be enough to fortify my spirits for a while. Just once, Mother Nature. Whaddya say? Something tells me you've got another shitty week in store for us.

You fucking douche.




No comments: