Sunday, December 29, 2013

He's gone along with a stick in his hand

I've pretty much spent today listening to music. Here's a sample. All worth checking out.

Philip Glass

A profound experience listening to this opera. Holy shit, son!




Unknown Mortal Orchestra



Cool and trippy; catchy songs. Think a lot of his stuff is home recorded. Not sure. Anyway, I like what's going on.



Anne Briggs







She only recorded about thirty songs (The story goes that she hated the sound of her recorded voice) but she changed the face of English folk, influencing heavy hitters such as Sandy Denny, Linda Thompson, Maddy Prior, and June Tabor. I love her stuff so much.



Michael Hurley




I don't know why I've arrived at him so late, but I'm glad I eventually did. Great songwriter; he blends humor and more serious topics seamlessly. His "Twilight Zone" is one of my favorites. Not a huge fan of his album art, but it seems to fit his music in some inarticulate way.



Elyse



A lost classic reissued. Beautiful honeyed gravel voice and gently plucked guitars. Kind of a Donovan-folky vibe and sooooooo effin good! And I love the album art.



Ariel Pink





This guy is a musical freak. His songs on this record are reminiscent of eighties pop, but only if you funneled them through a kaleidoscope. I smile when I listen to this album because it's brimming with ideas, some of them hits, some misses, but always refreshing.



Mike Patton

I had no idea he recorded this album of Italian oldy pop songs. Backed by an orchestra, too. He really sells the songs and his voice is as amazing as ever.









Ali Farka Toure

African blues is what you get here from this legend. I don't listen to him nearly enough.


So mucho musica for me. Going to download Garage Band to my iPad at some point today and see what I can come up with. Might just lounge around and read and maybe nap, instead. That type of day.

Peace out, lovers








2 comments:

Kate said...

You don't seem to respond to these comments but hopefully you read them so here it is. For some reason despite my shameful lack of musical knowledge somewhere in my travels I have actually heard of Phillip Glass but I haven't necessarily heard his music. However, the rest of the artists are not familiar to me. I will probably be most inclined to give a listen to Anne Briggs, per your description. I DO appreciate the suggestions (not that they are only for me but you know what I mean.) However, if you have any musical suggestions specifically tailored for me and my love of folksy, singer-songwriter type music I would appreciate that too!

And now I have a suggestion for you: More of this stuff and your other adventures and less of the sex dreams. Okay? :P

Kevin said...

You might enjoy the Michael Hurley stuff or the Elyse record.

As far as the sex dreams go, sorry if they make you uncomfortable or gross you out or whatever, but it's my blog and I'll write whatever I choose. Perhaps in the future I'll offer up a spoiler warning tailor made for you so that you can avoid that stuff. ;)