Friday, December 27, 2013

Eyes flaming, heart breaking, soul taking, my molly

Christmas has come and gone. It was a good one. My family was due; last year we spent Christmas still in grief and raw over my father's passing. A year later, we have adapted, our grieving expunged (not fully but enough), our hearts rekindled. Let's review.

Highlights:

1. My mom got me an iPad. It was a surprise. I didn't ask for one, though I did mildly suspect she had gotten me a Kindle Fire. She had bought a couple for my niece and nephew and more than once asked me if that was something I'd be interested in. I told her sure, but it wasn't something I felt I needed. The other day as I was registering my Kindle Paper White reader (a generous gift from my bosses) I discovered that I had two Kindle devices registered under my name. After a brief investigation, I discovered that one of the devices was a Kindle Fire. Mom must have purchased one for me and had it registered to my Amazon account, I thought. Despite wishing my mother hadn't spent that much money on me, I found myself getting excited over owning the tablet. A day later, I realized the reason the Kindle Fire had been registered under my name was because I had purchased one for her through my Amazon account. So, there I was feeling deflated over something a couple of days ago I had no expectation of receiving. And, next thing you know, I get an iPad. My poor heart could barely handle the plot twists. Anyway, my mother was clearly pleased by my reaction to the gift, which was akin to my ten year old self receiving the Huffy bike I'd asked for didn't think I'd get.

Actually, the iPad was the only highlight. Oh, I jest! No, the day was a good one, as I said, and being around my family was the most satisfying part. It was Mimi's first Christmas with us and she utilized every available second to hunt down food. Caught her atop the dining room table a couple of times. Good thing she's so adorable, otherwise she would have been beaten severely (at UNO). Later, at my grandmother's house, everyone was in good spirits even amidst the chaos of numerous children running about. I think I hung out more with the kids than the adults.

I visited with Spira afterward. We exchanged gifts and hung out for a bit before she had to head to the airport to pick up her neighbors. She wanted me to stick around, but I was pretty beat. Like a lot of people, I had been going virtually non stop throughout the week. On my way home, a couple of ambulances whizzed by. As I drove on, I saw they were headed to Broadway, which is near my place. When I reached my neighborhood, it was pitch black. Fuck - power's out! Someone must have hit a pole on Broadway. For the next couple of hours I sat in a cold, dark house. A part of me felt ornery about it, but mostly I was alright with it. I read from my Kindle (which, by the way, I've already loaded with a bunch of  free books, including Don Quixote, The Yoga Sutras, The New Testament, Mark Twain's How To Tell A Story, The Odyssey, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Golden Bough, a book of Buddhist scriptures, The Night of Long Knives). Lost the power again yesterday for a while but it wasn't so bad in the daylight. I practiced yoga and by the time I was finished, we had our power back.

Fred had messaged me that he had some exciting news. Turns out, he got a new washer for Christmas. Exciting news, to be sure. Now we don't have to take our clothes elsewhere to wash them. I had been using my mom's washer when I'd visit, but it will be nice not having to lug clothes around.

A good Christmas, yes. Next up New Year's Eve. I plan on getting blackout drunk.

Peace, toddlers!


No comments: