Monday, September 24, 2012

Follow me across the sea, where milky babies seem to be, molded flowing revelry, with the one that set them free

When I found out I was going to record at the registry in Cambridge today, I decided I was going to follow through on an intention born from the no-mind of meditation. So there I was this morning, my work finished and about to leave, wondering if I squandered an opportunity. And then one presented itself and I went forth with my intention.

About a year ago, a new title examiner began working there. Amidst the bustle, she stood out. Her full-throated laugh rose above the din of rote registry chatter and, much like her singing (loud enough to be heard, but without the suggestion of attention seeking), it was heard frequently and welcomed by me. She had sharp eyes imbued with spirit and dark, reddish hair. Pretty. I found out her name was Maureen.

I spoke to her only twice. The first time was when she came over to use the computer next to the one I was using and asked me what I was listening to on my iPod. "Led Zeppelin", I told her. I went on to explain in a jerky, dorky manner about the carefully thought out play list I had put together. I asked her if she was a fan. "Of course", she said, as if it couldn't be otherwise. The next time we spoke was when we met on the stairs in the upper reaches of the courthouse. We exchanged brief hi-how-are-you-doings and went on with our tasks.

She hardly occupied my thoughts; I only saw her about once every two weeks, and despite the intuitive affinity I felt for her, I really didn't know her. I've learned the dangers of flights of fancy and I rarely cater to them anymore, but when it came to me one night while chanting that I should tell her I appreciate her laugh, it felt right.

The idea may have grown from the disconcerting news I had read about the arctic and subsequent thoughts about everything going to shit. Scary, but also liberating. Rather than cower in some corner waiting in dread to die, why not say, fuck it, may as well enjoy myself before we're thrust into oblivion? So it came to me to approach a virtual stranger and pay her a compliment. And to do so without the weight of expectation. It would be enough for me to just assert myself and say YES to life in a seemingly small way. If nothing came of it, so be it.

I was at the registry this morning for about an hour and Maureen was there, but she appeared to be swamped with work. And because I had determined to let whatever was about to happen, happen organically and without urgency or force, I figured today wasn't going to be the day. Once I completed my own work, I called Marcy and told her I was headed to the office. After that, I called Ray to secure our plans for the weekend. When our call ended, I saw Maureen standing by herself a few feet away from me. A window had opened.

I walked over to her, surprisingly a little nervous, and .....

"This may sound a little weird to you, but I want to tell you how much I enjoy your laugh."

She laughs. This makes me want to say, "That's the one", but I don't. Instead....

"Sometimes if I'm here and I'm a bit crabby, hearing your laugh cheers me up."

"That's so sweet. Thank you."

Someone needed her attention and we parted ways. I felt enlivened. I felt like emitting a whoop. Not because I had  just asked someone out, because I hadn't, and not because I felt like I had a shot with her, because I have no idea if I do -she might be married for all I know. No, all of this was as I said: to assert myself, to say YES to life, to engage it, but maybe even more to brighten someones day, if only a tiny bit. Anything positive that stems from this is just gravy. If we never talk again, that will be fine. If we fall in love and wed, well, that will be fine, too. No expectations. Life moves according to its own script. Dharma.

At the registry, I had been reading from Moby Dick.

"....this the invisible police officer of the Fates, who has the constant surveillance of me, and secretly dogs me, and influences me in some unaccountable way - he can better answer than any one else. And, doubtless, my going on this whaling voyage, formed part of the grand programme of Providence that was drawn up a long time ago. "

Yup.

Good night, readers.I await the uploading of what is being called a incredible bit of video of a Sasquatch. I know not to get my hopes up, but I'm eager to see it.


No comments: