Sunday, April 22, 2012

This Nation's Saving Grace

Readers, I have been away from this blog and I know my absence has left you floundering in a black lake of existential despair. It's just that I've been busy this week and have had to use my brain muscles more than I'm accustomed too. I'll explain.

Actually, I won't really explain so much as give you the briefest of synopsis because there are matters away from this blog that require my attention. See this post as me checking in, letting you know I'm among the living. More detail will have to come later.

Okay, so why have I been busy? Well, as it happens, one of my roommates, Rae, is moving out. Did I mention that we just found out a few days ago? And did I mention the only reason we found out was after pressing her via text (she hasn't been living here for about two weeks) as to whether she was moving (One begins to wonder when he sees stuff packed in boxes, a moving blanket, and items removed from shelves strewn about the house)?

So, as a result of Rae's sudden departure, a good amount of my time has been spent setting up and conducting interviews. Hasn't been a dreadful experience at all -we've met some interesting candidates so far and we're confident we'll find someone suitable - but more notice would have been preferred. Why Rae departed in the manner she did, I don't know, but it wasn't expected. Maybe she wasn't a fan of me trying to crawl into bed with her night after night. Could be that she didn't buy my sleep walking excuse.

Last week was kind of rough for me. I felt adrift, unbalanced. I still meditated and practiced yoga, but I was unsettled much of the time. My spirit felt fatigued and I had to really get creative to frame a rosy outlook. I got through it as best I could, and not alone. Janelle, who is so dear to me, was there like an angel on my shoulder just when I needed her. And talking to other friends, like Kreg, helped too. It's a good feeling to know you're not working without a net even when you feel you are.

Before I go, I should stress that whatever inner and outer struggles I went through, while causing discomfort and a dose of despair, were manageable enough to deal with. I just spoke with a woman yesterday who, not too long ago, had to cope with a divorce and the deaths of her parents and sister in the span of six months. That is some heavy stuff.

Time to go. I'll be back soon, hopefully with news of a new and exciting roommate. And maybe I'll ruminate on the mystery of the stars while I'm at it. Stay tuned, children of the night.

2 comments:

Kate said...

"It's a good feeling to know you're not working without a net even when you feel you are."
~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, for me, I have the feeling much of the time that not only do I not have much of net but that whatever net I DO have is full of holes. :(

Kevin said...

All nets are full of holes, Kate. To quote from Wayne dyer, "When you change the way you look at things, what you look at changes." Stay positive; I know it's not always easy, but I do know that self-defeating thoughts never ever ever ever ever get you anywhere.