Monday, April 2, 2012

Lies and betrayals, fruit covered nails, electricity and lust, won't break the door

Man, every day it's something new. And by new, I mean challenging (which is framing it as positively as I can manage). At the rate things are going, I'll be.....well, I don't care to entertain that notion. Have to stay on top of this.

I'm being vague. I'm sorry. It's just that I'm trying not to feel overwhelmed by the myriad of changes that have been placed at my doorstep. I wish I could say the changes are in the vein of getting laid or coming into some money, but that's not the case. Big picture-wise, all of this could just be a clear the decks scenario to make room for something better. Disruption can lead to better things, something I've been repeating like a mantra, and collapsing into despair will not help me understand that. I need to be clear, resolute; I can't afford to be swept up in the current of fear and confusion.

So....

Watched a couple of episodes of Walking Dead, a show I've steered clear from because I generally find anything zombie related kind of obtuse. Maybe obtuse is not the word I'm looking for, though zombies are certainly obtuse (Let me interject something here because if I don't unravel it now, I never will. It would be unkind of me to deprive you of another offering from a great mind. So it occurs to me that people dig zombie movies so much because they get off on seeing them get shot up. Revelatory, I know, but bear with me. They're perfectly crafted, these zombies to serve as projections of pent up anger, frustration, etc. They're slow and dimwitted, grotesque and lumbering, tenacious and threatening, but not too threatening. Shooting them full of holes or battering them with a machete alleviates stress, allows us to vent. And they're so easy to kill, even a toddler on cough syrup could take down several. Look, what I'm trying to say, if I hadn't made it clear, is that people like seeing things get shot the fuck up. Why? The way I just laid it out could be the way of it. Or it could be that people are sociopaths and orgasm every time they witness an act of violence. I've said what I have to say on the matter. Please forgive the interruption, though I question whether it was worth it. Ahh, let's proceed, children). Generally speaking, I don't like campy stuff (The Rocky Horror Picture Show makes me want to puke) and things zombie related seem campy to me. But if the story is good, I'll watch anything. On paper, Mad Men does not appeal to me much, but damn if it's not one of the finest crafted and riveting shows I've seen. I heard a lot of good things about Walking Dead, so I decided to follow the story and see if it hooked me.

My first impression of the show was favorable. The zombies were horrifying - intestines, thigh bones, jaws exposed in exquisitely gross and realistic detail. Good. I want to them to terrify me.The acting seemed top notch. The story was gripping (I didn't see it listed anywhere, but the whole guy waking up from a coma in a zombie infested landscape was lifted from 28 Days Later. Unless that's a trope of zombie movies. I don't know, I'm new to these shores). I watched a couple of episodes and enjoyed them, more or less. I will watch another episode tonight and see if it keeps my interest. I think it will.

There is more, but I'm too sleepy to articulate here. See you in the movies, lovers.

No comments: