Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Coach taught me to sing, he couldn't teach me to love

I have a vague remembrance of an early morning dream. In the woods behind my childhood home, a place I visit frequently while I sleep, I found myself by a sun-dappled pond, clearer and larger than the actual one. And more vibrant and alive.There were people along the shore, vague outlines of familiarity. I looked up the slight incline towards the house and then made my way along an inviting path away from it into the woods. That's all I remember.

Those woods and the journeys I take within them are spiritual. I've never had a bad experience in those dreams, only feelings of ease and happy expectation of where my journey will take me. They say when you have dreams that involve bodies of water, you are dreaming of God. I don't remember much from this last dream, but I'll never forget that pond and how it glistened.

I'll tell ya, reading Carl Sagan's Cosmos alongside A Course In Miracles, not to mention a steady diet of yoga and meditation, has done a number on my mind. Not unmanageable, not even undesirable. Feeling the tickle of peace, a barely detectable invisible blanket draping over me. I'm still prone to my usual ego pandering, but there's something new in play that is softening it. With that said, I shouldn't rule out my new hobby, shooting up excessive amounts of heroin, as the cause of this burgeoning peaceful feeling.
--

I finally saw Lana Del Ray's train-wreck SNL performance. After a solid week or so of hearing how awful it was, I was ready for some mediocrity. What I got instead was a decent performance of a decent song. Hardly worthy of all the battering abuse. I felt bad for her even before I heard a note. Artists need thicker skins these days; the immediacy and anonymity of the Internet brings out the rabble, critics all. Earlier today, I read that Lana Del Ray thought she looked great and her performance was fine. Despite not knowing who she was two weeks ago, it felt really good reading that.

I think a shower is in order. Not sure if I'll get around to watching an episode of Downton Abbey (haven't been itching to watch it lately), but I will engage in the three "ates", which is to say I will create, meditate, and.....well, I'm sure you can figure out the last one.

No comments: