Monday, January 23, 2012

Knocking me out with those American thighs

I read a great tweet from Natasha Leggero the other night. I'm paraphrasing slightly, but here is the gist of the question she posed: "Isn't worrying just wishing for bad things to happen?" On the surface, it might appear she wasn't being serious, but I gave it some thought and determined that the question is an important and valid one. And I determined that the answer to it is an affirmative yes.

Wishes, when you think about it, are seeds planted by thought. Some may become manifest, others may prove barren (usually the lofty ones, like wishing for a sack of money to materialize in your lap). Look at the state of your life, the things you own and the friends you keep. Everything the result of thoughts put into action.

It makes sense, then, to favor thoughts that are positive. When you're focusing on the problem, you have little hope of finding the solution. Worrying speaks to a worldview of scarcity and lack, of danger and fear. As within, without. Your every day life is a reflection of your mode of thought. In that sense, worrying is wishing for bad things to happen. And when put that way, it illustrates how important it is to monitor our thoughts. Wayne Dyer says "When you change how you look at something, what you look at changes. " I think he's right, though it can be a tricky thing to put into practice.
--

Just watched Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg last night. I've seen it before, but it really hit me this time. He combined everything that was special about his previous films and created a masterpiece. So inventive, imaginative, hallucinatory. His films are gauzy, humorous, dreams. There's no one quite like him.



Okay, I'm off to watch the latest episode of Downton Abbey. And then maybe some Saxondale, which I've been re-watching because it makes me feel good inside.

No comments: