Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fuck the slice, I want the pie

Just read an article about how dangerous practicing yoga can be. Certain poses, it claimed, even when performed by seasoned practitioners, can have deleterious effects. An upsurge in spinal, neck, hip, and back injuries have risen over the years. More alarming, strokes have been attributed to yoga.

Having felt the benefits of yoga, it was difficult not to read the article with a defensive approach. The upsurge in yoga-related injuries is concerning, to be sure, but when you take into account the fact that more and more people are practicing these days, it makes sense there would be reports of more injuries. The article stressed that the cause of many of these injuries is ego-driven. In other words, there is more emphasis of forcing a pose, trying to get it right immediately, rather than employing patience and letting the pose happen naturally over time.

I've been practicing yoga for several years now and I still find myself occasionally giving the ego the reigns. When this happens, my main concern becomes pushing myself through the poses in an impatient manner. In this state, I'm not present; I'm thinking two or three positions ahead or what I'm going to have for dinner. If there's ever a risk of injuring myself, it is then. Makes sense. Whenever I've cut myself while chopping vegetables, it's because I wasn't present.

The article seemed a little too dramatic. Not that many yoga-related injuries have been reported compared to how many people are practicing. A fraction. There are probably more jogging-related injuries out there. Look, you've got to be careful when practicing yoga, especially when you get into the more difficult postures. Serious attention and respect must be paid to what you're doing. And patience. Yesterday, I held a headstand for about four seconds. I was elated. I've been working on that pose for a month, but four seconds was huge. Patience.
--

I walked over to PJ Ryan's the other night to see Foley's band play. When I arrived, I found out they were going on at eleven rather than nine, the time they were scheduled to perform. Already feeling under the weather, I told Foley I wasn't going to see him play. I did hang out for a bit, though, mostly with Meredith, one of Foley's friends. She explained the entire Twilight saga to me, per my request and with the caveat that she wasn't really into it. Still, she did an admirable job at conveying the important plot points. Now I know about Edward and Bella, the shaky vampire/werewolf alliance, and the angst. All that angst. Meredith and I also talked about the greatest show that's ever been filmed, Deadwood, and British comedies. Good times.

Alright, I'm out of here. The day needs my attention.

No comments: