Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All I have is my love of love, and love is not loving

Let's talk about anything other than car issues, financial concerns, the pending collapse of the American empire. In other words, we're going to shine a light of pure love, shot directly and unfiltered from the heavens, onto this post. Are you ready? I can't hear you. ARE YOU READY? Good, we shall proceed.

So, anyway, I was just watching an interview with Chris Hedges from C-Span entitled "Brace Yourself! The American Empire Is Over And The Descent Is Going To Be Horrifying." I got about five minutes into it and decided to deploy my attention elsewhere. Not because of Hedges - I believe he's spot on, sadly - but because I've had enough doom and gloom lately. Anyway, I've already touched on a topic I claimed I was going to stay away from in the opening paragraph. Focus, Kevin.

I'm listening to the band Girls as I type. So far I'm really digging them. It's an interesting hodgepodge of classic rock structures. I hear old King Crimson, The Beach Boys, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull (there is flute), The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Big Star. I have to admit, I expected something different from a band named Girls.

Last night I was listening back to a playback of a new song, trying to determine which direction I should take vocally. I had laid down a rough track a couple of nights ago and, at the time, I didn't feel it was sufficient. When I listened to it last night I determined that the take was indeed sufficient. The song is just about done now. I'll revisit it again tonight to see if I indeed want to keep the vocals as is.

Been listening to a great podcast on Bigfoot called The Bigfoot Show. Really well done. The hosts are experts in the field (I won't bother naming them because it's likely you won't know who they are), astute, and approach the subject with a healthy degree of skepticism. Man, I love a good podcast.

I've also discovered that The X-Files has been streaming on Netflix. The entire series. It may take me a while to get through it all. There's like twenty episodes per season. Oh, and I also discovered Star Trek: The Next Generation is streaming, too. I watched the pilot episode the other night. I know things change as the show gets comfortable with itself; I'm really hoping one of those changes is toning down the blaring dramatic horns that pepper the first episode. Go gentle with the music, dear Star Trek. You're dramatic enough. Anyway, if you haven't figured out I'm a bit of a geek by now, you've been skimming this blog way too much. One more thing about Star Trek: I never got into the original series; the only one I paid much attention to was Next Generation. I prefer it because it's like, you know, cerebral and shit. And the fact that it features Dr. Crusher and Deanna Troi doesn't hurt. Know what I'm sayin'? Sure you do.

It's fucking freezing tonight. Winter is a drag and there's no way you can convince me otherwise. Still, it's not so bad. You just have to take a Zen approach to it. It's not the season itself that's bad, it's our perception that makes it so. Like that? Pretty profound, I know. A product of having a heart as pure and gentle as a mother's kiss.

I just realized that the year came and went and I didn't post any year end awards. What the fuck is the matter with me? I'm sure this omission has created a vortex of despair in your lives. I will try to remedy that by......posting some awards right the fuck now, son!!!!

Roommate I Wish Was Still My Roommate award

I should have made that plural because it's not just Janelle that gets the award, but also her partner in crime and my poocherific BFF, Baby Boy Z. We had some good times, we did. I like my current roommates just fine, but it's not the same.

Awesome Discovery award

Somehow I skirted around the phenomenal filmmaker, Guy Maddin, for years and years. I watched Careful streaming on Netflix and it was the most refreshing thing I'd seen in a long time. Filmed in washed-out Technicolor, kind of funny, dreamy, and highly original. After that, I was hooked. I moved on to Brand Upon The Brain, Cowards Bend The Knee, My Winnipeg, The Saddest Music In The World, and Dracula (a silent film and a ballet!). Totally inspiring, his output. I've tried to get people turned on to his films but so far no one has shown much interest. Their loss.

Best Party award

Tracy and Ray's Christmas party lacked in only one area: it should have been much longer. Sure, it was well after midnight when we left, but I was having so much fun I could have withstood at least a few more hours with that wonderful bunch of friends.

Dog Crush award

This goes out to Missy D. She is so pretty and cute that it alarms me a bit knowing I would do anything she asked of me (good thing for me she can't speak English very well). I always say that if I was a dog I would ask her out. The only problem is she'd be way out of my league and would most likely reject me. I was hoping Baby Boy Z would win her heart so I could live vicariously through him, but, alas, his charms haven't had the proper effect.

Best Sign People Are Waking Up (Albeit Probably Too Late) award

The whole Occupy movement. Watching the protesters choose peace over violence over and over again filled my heart with joy. You can call them filthy, entitled, lazy, hippies, or whatever else you learned from the TV, but know this: it takes a special kind of will to withstand the violence and cruelty the Police State has inflicted on the protesters. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle getting blasted with pepper spray or beaten with batons without wanting to return the slight in kind. It's a shame more people don't support this movement. The protesters, for the most part, are true patriots. And more than that, they've chosen the way of peace (so far) and there is no higher ideal.

On that note, I'm off to do other stuff. Maybe a Bigfoot podcast, maybe some recording, maybe some reading. I will meditate at some point for sure. And remember, my brothers and sisters, it is more important than ever to be kind to one another, to be loving with one another. Make at least one person smile a day. Be grateful for what you have and give as much as you can.

Peace.

No comments: