Wednesday, June 15, 2011

When the winter comes and the greenery goes, we will make some shelter

Just finished a Jaime POV chapter in Storm of Swords and thought to myself, not for the first time, "Damn, if he's not one of the most compelling characters in modern literature!" Astride that thought was this one: "Damn, can Martin tell a story!". I'm close to halfway through, and when I finish it will be on to A Feast For Crows. After that, A Dance With Dragons, perhaps the most eagerly anticipated book I've ever, uh.....anticipated. Comes out in July and if don't have the money to purchase the book, I will pimp myself out to all and sundry!

Speaking of books, I've never read a Harry Potter book, nor have I seen one of the movies based on the books. Strange that I haven't, given my tastes, but then again, maybe not so strange. Isn't the whole thing just a bunch of children running around casting spells and acting all nerdy? I'll probably watch the movies some day, but it's dubious whether I'll read the books.

The Bruins are on soon. I've been able to watch the last couple of games because they've been broadcast on a major network. Tonight, it's game seven of the Stanley Cup finals and, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm pretty excited to watch it. I used to be an avid fan of hockey until a few years ago, when ownership dismantled one of my favorite Bruin lineups. I felt betrayed and over the ensuing seasons, I only showed a passing interest. Somehow, my sister became a huge fan of the Bruins. Last year, my interest was rekindled and here we are, game seven of the finals. They haven't won the Cup since I've been alive. I like their chances tonight, but who can say.

Very pleased with my run yesterday. Close to six miles and the last couple I ran hard. Didn't plan to, but at one point I heard someone running behind me and decided I was not going to let them pass. Here and there, I caught fleeting glimpses of the woman following me. She kept pace pretty well, but on the bike path near Mass Ave, I turned on the jets. She stayed behind me almost all the way home. I almost approached her to thank her for the motivation, but thoughts of a warm shower and dinner were prevalent in my mind.

The roommate search is in full swing. Again. A revolving door of people over the last year, but what are you going to do.

For some reason, I just thought of Doug, a former coworker of mine. He used to take umbrage when I referred to myself as the King of Kings in his presence. He used to retort that I was the King of Queens. Guess he was blind to my glory.

Off to watch the Bruins DEFEAT (now I'm confident they'll win) the Canucks. If, for some reason foul play comes into effect and they somehow lose, I will pimp myself out to all and sundry.

Mark my words.

No comments: