Sunday, June 12, 2011

Light the lamp and fire mellow, cabinessence timely hello, welcomes the time for a change

More than one aspect of my life feels stale. I've documented here that I've been going through a transition and the staleness, I believe, is just one of its byproducts. I have a feeling my life is going to look quite a bit different in the coming weeks and months. Hopefully, for the better.

I'm looking at the clock. I just ate breakfast and would like to go for a run before I go see Super 8. I think I can do it. Just have to give myself some time to let the cereal digest. My last run was one of the better, most satisfying ones I've had in a long while. Again, I ran the 5 1/2 mile route, but this time the weather was perfect: no humidity, a soft breeze, and sunshine. I also laid off the iPod in favor of a more meditative experience. I find having music playing can be take away from the experience. So much of running is the rhythm of it. Without music, it's more of a symbiotic thing in which a natural, unforced, tempo is employed. Today, I'll go sans music. It'll be blissful, I predict. I'll bring the music back when my energy level is low and I'm being a whiny baby about having to go out for a run.

Finished A Clash of Kings and moved on to A Storm of Swords. I had thought before that I didn't own a copy of the latter so last week I ventured over to the book store to pick it up. They had a ton of copies when I was there a week prior, but were bone dry this time. Fortunately for me, I went down to my basement and fished through one of my containers of books and discovered I did in fact still own a copy, hardcover in fact. So, I'm reading that copy and saved myself some cash. Heavy bugger, though. May need to see a chiropractor by the time I'm through with it. HA! Was that funny, or what?


And now I need to work on getting ready to go for a run. It's cloudy, cool, and breezy. Ideal conditions. Later, I will work on music, read, watch some Blackadder or The Pacific or 127 Hours or the Mavs/Heat game. Maybe a little of everything.

Post script.

I went for the run and really enjoyed it. Sometimes, and this was beginning to happen late winter/early spring, running feels like a chore, a task I don't mind doing but something to get through all the same. The new longer route coupled with the absence of musical accompaniment, has made all the difference. These last few outings have been deeply satisfying, meditative. Today, I ran hard the last mile and had plenty of energy to go further. I like it when that happens. Now, when the suffocating humidity makes its return, well, things could look a bit different.

I came home and looked at the clock. I had about fifteen minutes until Super 8 began. Someone was in the shower, so that wasn't going to happen. I washed my face and rinsed my hair in the kitchen sink, toweled off the sweat, got dressed and hustled over to The Somerville Theater. I found a nice seat and had a few minutes to spare before the film started.

It was an enjoyable one. It had the feel of any great Spielberg movie, which was why I went to see it. Too often these days, story takes a back seat to special effects and mindless action sequences. Not with this movie. Story came first and it paid off. Go see this if you miss the wonderment of movies like E.T. or Close Encounters. Two thumbs up, son!

Spira was at the house when I returned. And so was Missy the dog. Spira let me finish her Brazilian food, which I devoured in short order. I hadn't eaten since the run; it was much appreciated. Game of Thrones will be on soon. Can't wait!

Cheers.

No comments: