Tuesday, June 28, 2011

There's a fog upon L.A.

Grooveshark is a cool website. Listening to Portishead's album, Third. Pandora pales in comparison to this site. Hey, don't get uptight. I'm just saying....

It was Saturday afternoon and I still hadn't heard back from Rae. I ran through my mind the possible reasons why she hadn't responded. Even though it seemed unlikely that a technical glitch in our email correspondence was the culprit, I was hoping that was the case. My gut seemed to think so. I had trouble accepting any other reason.

Turns out, it was a technical problem. Late Saturday afternoon, I got a call from Nicole, the person we would have gone with if Rae had declined our offer. She had just received an offer from another place, but liked ours a little better. She wanted to get a sense of what her chances were with us. At this point, pretty damn good, I thought. I told her she was on a short list of people we liked and that I'd let her know our decision no later than Sunday evening.

After I got off the phone with her, I emailed Rae, asking her to get back to me, even if she didn't have a definitive answer for us. If I didn't hear from her by Sunday night, I would offer the place to Nicole. I felt better knowing we'd have someone in place for July. Still, and this is no slight against Nicole, who would have probably been a decent fit, I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of Rae not moving in. I took for granted that she'd accept our offer. It seemed as if it were preordained.

Not long after I sent her the email, Rae got back to me. She wrote that she had sent me an email, but it somehow got lost in the chain. It was true. Below, she forwarded the message I never received. It read:


Oh my gosh, YES!! Kevin, that is so terrific, I'm so glad you guys felt good about this, I was so excited too! I was actually sort of avoiding my email because I was expecting a "thanks for your interest, but..." letter, but this is the best possible scenario!

Would you be interested in meeting Mike maybe sometime this weekend? I certainly don't want to push him on you, but we'll be around the neighborhood.

Thank you so much, this is awesome! I'm so excited, and I think this is going to be a great fit!

Boy, was that a relief reading that message. Strange how that happened, but it happened before with Ella when we asked her to move in. Weird.

Rae came by last night with Mike, her cute little greyhound mix. I really feel like she's going to be a good fit. I won't jump the gun too much, but I'll be very surprised if she's a bust. On paper, at least, she fits almost to a T what I want in a roommate. Again, I'm not going to jump the gun. We'll see how things go as they go.

Janelle is almost completely moved out. It will be an adjustment with her and Pooch Edward gone. It hasn't really sunk in yet.

Just looked at the clock. Other things need my attention. Peace out!

No comments: