Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Take the skin and peel it back, now doesn't it make you feel better?

Spring has arrived and we're due for more snow. Been that kind of winter. I through in the towel a while ago. I'm numb to it all at this point. Anyway, it probably won't snow that much tonight. We'll see.

I spoke to Fred about ceasing his door slamming. Yes, Fred is a door slammer, though you would never suspect it by being around him. He's a pretty mellow dude. It took me a little bit to figure out the source of all the loud noise I was starting to hear on a consistent basis. Sounded like heavy things falling down hard. The walls of the house would shake with the force of it. I figured out it was Fred slamming doors right about the time Janelle mentioned it to me. When I told him about it, he seemed genuinely surprised, but agreed to be mindful about his door handling (Is that a pun of sorts? ).

Guy Maddin's Brand Upon The Brain arrived in the mail today. Got it super cheap. Know why? Because Guy Maddin makes unconventional films that most people don't care about, even though they should. Can't wait to watch it. Maddin's films are among the best I've ever seen. Inventive, unique, funny, surreal.... I could go on. I wish I had fellow fans of his I could talk to about his mastery. As with many other things in my, I walk this road alone. Sob!

I'm on book four of my Wheel of Time re-read. After I get through this mammoth tome, I've got eight more to go. Unless I devote significantly devote more time to reading, I'll probably finish next fall or winter. Will I keep it up? Who knows. It's been fun reading Leigh Butler's chapter by chapter summary/commentary of the series, though, and, like a coach, it's been keeping me consistent.

Enough out of me. I've got lyrics to work on, some Guy Maddin to watch, and....oh, yeah - there's a Celtics game on tonight. That last one, against the Knicks, was one of the best ones of the season. A brutal, bloody epic, t'was, with the C's emerging victorious. I've been noticing this team is almost universally disliked. The dislike extends to the local media. To wit, after the grandeur of the aforementioned epic against the Knicks, the local sports media, the radio jocks in particular, were putting them through the ringer for all sorts of perceived offenses. F you, haters! Write it down - that's the first time I've ever uttered the word haters in this blog. Uh, at least I think it is. Maybe you should go through the archives and find out.

3 comments:

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Even though I don't pay as much attention to the Celtics as I should, there is definitely a discernible anti Boston energy out there. It exists with the Red Sox and it is (I think) largely undeserved. Of course, I am getting a lot of this from watching ESPN a source that can’t be trusted to be impartial because of their New York bias and the fact that they are practically drooling over the New York Yankees. However, they seem to be pretty infatuated with the LA Lakers as well so perhaps it's actually more likely that whoever Boston fans dislike they will root for as if they are the underdog. ESPN is shameless in this regard.

Kevin said...

People tend to dislike winning teams, preferring the underdogs, which I fully understand, but much the anti-Celtics sentiment I've seen is coming from the local media.