Thursday, March 3, 2011

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all

I took a spill the other day during a run. It was the first in years which, given the amount of running I do in the snow and ice, is surprising. In other words, despite my laser reflexes, I've been lucky to have fallen only once. My left leg caught a patch of ice and down I went on my left side. I fell hard, but no damage, save a sore left side. I got up and continued my run. A woman walking toward me looked as if she wanted to ask me if I was alright. She kept quiet and I felt relieved. I don't want your pity, lady! I just wanted to move on as if nothing happened.

This incident brought to mind a story a coworker had told me a few years ago. He was walking between parking spaces at a liquor store and a car pulling in to a spot managed to pin him from the waist down into another car. Not wanting any attention, even in the midst of excrutiating pain, he refused to be taken to the hospital by the EMTs that showed up. He just wanted to go home. Later, his leg was swollen so bad he had to use scissors to get out of his pants. He drank a lot of whiskey to fight the pain and went to bed. He barely slept. The pain was so unbearable he wept like a baby. It wasn't until several hours later that he finally went to the hospital. Stubborn guy, that Gary. I worked with him at that lunatic warehouse I've written about. I'm pretty sure almost every person I ever worked with there was at least halfway insane. Another time, I'll have to recount how Gary's girlfriend, who worked with us, got drunk at our Christmas party and hit on me in almost every conceivable way.
-
Not a bad week. Last night, I walked over to PJ Ryan's to visit with Bridget. On my way, I passed a Tibetan restaurant and my friend Melanie came to the window and beckoned me inside. Funny seeing her there. She doesn't live in town. Good seeing her, though. Now I want Tibetan food.

When I got home, I tuned in to the Celtics game. This is a truly special team and the way they took it to Phoenix last night was a sight to behold. I will miss these days when they eventually become mediocre like every team does.

Some good news. George R.R. Martin, author of one of the best series of books I've ever read, A Song of Ice And Fire, has finally, finally, finally finished the fifth and eagerly awaited fifth book in the series, A Dance With Dragons. It's been six years since he last put out a book. Way too long, but I'm thrilled - thrilled I say! - that I only have to wait until July to read the next one. Also, and this is something I'm equally excited about, HBO's adaptation of the series is set to air next month. Ok, I need to open a window or something - I'm about to pass out from giddiness.

And then there's Fleet Foxes new album, which should be out soon. And, thanks to Janelle getting tickets, we'll be seeing them live. Oh, my! There are other exciting things on the horizon, but the room is starting to spin, so I better back off.

Saw my first Guy Maddin film the other night and I really, really enjoyed it. Very inspiring. It was called Careful and I've never seen a movie quite like it. He uses old cameras and often shoots in Technicolor, so the film has an old-timey dreamy quality to it. And strange. Kind of like a cross between Werner Herzog and John Waters. Check out this preview for an idea of what I'm talking about.



I'm excited, because Netflix has a few more of his films on Watch Instantly, so, you know.....I'm go watch them.

Maybe, maybe I'll get to one of them tonight. With that, I'm off to greener pastures. I was going to riff on Charlie Sheen, but the hour is late, and I must be gone.

No comments: