Friday, March 11, 2011

Love came to my door, with a sleeping roll, and a madman's soul

I learned about the earthquake/tsunami catastrophe on my way to work this morning. From what they were saying on the radio, the devastation was immense. At work, they told me about what it looked like on video, how apocalyptic it was. At home later on I saw for myself. Surreal and awful and a profound reminder of how, as much as we try to possess it, nature is immense and way much, much, more powerful than we as a species will ever be. My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese.
-
I'm pretty sure I had a dream about Rock n' Roll last night. And by Rock n' Roll, I'm referring to an old friend and not the style of music. Our mutual friend, The Kremlin, gave him that name and it stuck. I've known Rock n' Roll since high school. We were in a couple of bands together, vacationed together, worked together. I see him rarely these days. I'm okay with it and I'm sure he is, too, but we had some times I think fondly upon.
-
I should be working on music tonight, but I may find myself watching The Social Network and/or the Celtics game. Or I could go hang out with Spira, but that probably won't happen. I really should work on music.

Ah, but I've been really digging my Wheel of Time re-read and may want to fit some of that into my night. This time around, I'm really taking note of how well written these books are. I have a low tolerance for poorly written books, which is why I don't read much from the fantasy genre these days. Much of it has the feel of something written by a nerdy high school kid. But Jordan, well, he had his flaws, but man could he spin a tale.

Despite it being Friday, I've had a day peppered with irritation. Things at work and some things concerning the household have been bugging the shit out of me. Yoga helped a bit. Perspective, must keep perspective.

Ever have someone describe a past event to you as if you weren't present, even though you were? You know what I'm talking about. Might go a little something like this: "Oh, man, that was such a great show. The band were on that night and me and Chris at one point looked at each other with these huge smiles, knowing we were witnessing something truly special. Such a great night; you should have been there." Uhh, but I was.

It's worse when the event in question turned out to be something special. You tend to have a crisper memory when it was something special. So, if someone doesn't recall your presence even when it was a truly memorable experience, well, that's grounds to feel a little bruised.

This type of thing has happened to me more than once, but not lately and not that many times. Not exactly sure why it came to mind, but I'm not going to pontificate over it all night. I've got things to do, son!

Cheers.

No comments: