Sunday, February 13, 2011

So I took a big chance at the high school dance

Synchronicity. I've been reading the DMT book and the last section I read referenced The Tibetan Book of The Dead numerous times. Death has been on my mind lately and my curiosity was piqued; I wanted to read the book, something I'd been meaning to for years. A day later, my friend Doug posts something about a movie called Enter The Void on his Facebook page. I respect his taste and checked to see if it was available on Netflix. It was, and on the Watch Instantly feature, so I set about watching it, knowing virtually nothing about what I was getting myself into.

The experience was fairly intense from the get go. A creepy feeling came over me when I realized this was a movie about death. We see through the eyes, quite literally, of a young American drug dealer living in Tokyo. The screen goes black every time he blinks. You are inside his head. Strange sensation, that. At first it was a little disorienting, but I got used to it as much as I could. He smokes DMT early on in the film and you get to see the visuals he sees. And when he dies later on, that is when the ride really begins. The Tibetan Book of The Dead is prominent throughout. The synchronicity made me wonder if this virtual trip through the process of death was preparation for my own pending demise. I resisted the idea out of fear, but then figured if this was indeed some kind of preparation, well, then why would that be so terrible? Sure, it would be a sign of something I'd hoped to put off for a while longer, but it's going to happen, my dying, no matter what I have to say about the matter, so if I'm afforded a primer to help familiarize myself with the transition, then I suppose I should be thankful. So, we'll see what happens. I'm hoping if I'm about to die, it'll be a metaphoric death and not the Big Sleep.

I recommend you see Enter The Void. It's really well made and I can assure you, you haven't seen anything like it. It's still affecting me.

No comments: