Saturday, February 5, 2011

The first time ever I saw your face, I thought the sun was in your eyes

We're past 20,000 hits and, because I'm no seeker of accolades, I request that you resist the impulse to shower me with testimonials about how much this blog means to you. If you must, then I suggest you keep your praise to within 500 words. As much as I'd appreciate anything longer, I am a busy man with many important things to do, and don't have the time for anything longer, however well-intended.

I recently read a lengthy critique of the Sopranos final episode, the premise of which was that Tony Soprano did in fact die at the end of the final episode. The author makes a convincing case, breaking the scene down as well as previous episodes that he felt served as foreshadowing to to the show's climax. He also quotes from several interviews with David Chase, the show's creator, and it is clear that, without explicitly saying so, Chase meant for Tony to meet his end at that diner.

It was a great read and very well thought out. Some of the author's theories seem a little thin, but for the most part, as I stated above, he makes a convincing case. I was glad he included quotes from Chase to bolster his theories, mostly because it showed me how layered and nuanced the show was. The Sopranos is one of my favorite shows for that very reason, although I never went as deep into it as the author of this essay and many of the people who left comments at the bottom of the post have. It's a slippery slope when you find meaning in every little thing. For example, a reader left a comment that put forth the idea that an older couple leaving the diner in the final scene represented the future Tony and Carmella wouldn't have, because, you know, Tony was just about to be shot and killed. You may as well state that the young, happy, couple sitting in a booth near Tony represented the unfettered, uncomplicated youth he and Carmella never experienced. Hmmm.... wait a minute now. Let me think this over.

Anyway, here's the final scene. Make up your own mind.




It's clear to me that Tony was murdered. When I first saw the episode, I wasn't sure. I thought it was equally possible that Chase was conveying that life goes on beyond the show for the Sopranos and, as in life, there are no tidy endings where all the loose ends are tied up, etc. The flaw in that line of thinking, however, is that if Chase wanted to convey that, he could have just had the show end, with the camera panning out and the credits rolling. To have everything dramatically cut to black suggests Tony was murdered.

Ah, I wish I still owned the series on DVD.
--

Almost through reading A Maggot. It'll be bittersweet when I reach the end. What a compelling read! I hesitate to divulge any particulars, in case any of you are thinking of reading it. Read this if you don't mind particulars (I skimmed the article and didn't see any spoilers, but note that I skimmed, so read at your peril).

The sun is out today and I'm thinking of warmer weather. I mustn't , though - we are still enshrouded by winter and have a ways to go before spring arrives. Hurry up, I say!

No comments: