Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's quite peculiar in a funny sort of way

Took me near a half hour to find a parking spot when I came home from Spira's last night. Mind you, the entire time wasn't spent searching - some of it was attempting in vain to squeeze into dubious spots laden with ice and book-ended by monolithic snowbanks - but still, a little more work than I was expecting.

At Spira's, we watched The Piano Teacher upon my recommendation. Both Spira and Allie found the experience to be disturbing, among other things. I'm not sure if either of them enjoyed it very much, but the film did provoke some discussion, something that can't be said for many, many movies that come out. You know, because they're so lame.

Sometimes I can't figure out my feelings about a thing. For example, I've gone back and forth over the years about how I feel about Elton John. Sometimes I find his music nauseating and sometimes I dig it, sometimes both at once. The radio station we listen to at work loves Elton John - they must feature him ten times a day - and every time Benny and The Jets comes on I realize that I find it equally enjoyable and appalling. Some parts of the song, the driving, marching verse sections, in particular, I really dig, and others, like the part of the song where he screeches in that annoying falsetto, "Benn-ayyy, Benn-ayyy, Ben-ayyy......"over and over and over and over, well, that's fucking annoying. And also, quite frankly, a violent assault upon the ears.

But the guy put out Tiny Dancer, you know? That's a heavy weight. Madman Across The Water? Great, great song. He's got some killer songs, to be sure. Maybe I should just go buy a greatest hits record and be done with it. In an early episode of I'm Alan Partridge, Alan's having a discussion about music with a much hipper younger guy and when asked what his favorite Beatles album was, Alan replies...well, just watch it and find out. Plus you'll get to see laughing guy, who's hilaaaariioouuuussss.



The other day, I thought it was Wednesday when it was Thursday. I was so convinced that when a coworker told me the following day was Friday, it took me several minutes to believe she wasn't playing a joke, even though she's never, not once, ever come in the general vicinity of playing a joke on me or any one else in the office. It could very well be that I'm losing my mind. It's caused me a lot of grief over the years , so if it wants to bail, I'll won't cause a fuss.

No comments: