Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Pigs, they tend to wiggle when they walk

I just spent over thirty minutes at YouTube, checking out all the lame bands that post their songs there. Tonight, I focused on cover songs--more specifically, Led Zeppelin cover songs. There were some decent renditions, but I was more interested in the god-awful ones. I used to have a fascination that bordered on disgust, with bad poetry. Ivan Brunetti, the creator of the great comic book "Schizo" put a bunch of poems people had written about Kurt Cobain's suicide on the back of one it's issues, and I was in Heaven. I wish I had it before me; there were some real gems. Poetry is a delicate art and should only be allowed to be written by those who know what to do with it. Even with "legitimate" poetry, the kind grown-ups write, I'm hard-pressed to find any I think is effective. But when it works it works, and the result is transcendent.As I write this, millions of people are being irresponsible with their pens and filling their journals with writing that should be seen only by the bottom of a garbage can. But these so-called poets like to share their "gift" with all and sundry. And that is a good thing, because people like me, who can't help but be fascinated with the horrors these villains produce, don't have to look far to get their fix; it's readily available on the internet. But alas, watching shitty bands butcher their own and other people's songs on YouTube has, for me, surpassed reading bad poetry . It was starting to get played out, anyway. Give me a bunch of seventeen year old hippies jamming to "Kashmir" in their parents garage any day over some kids poem with "I drift in a meaningless cavern of despair" as it's first line.

2 comments:

Sun Wu Kung said...

Dude, I was totally going to send you my collection of Kurt Cobain tribute poems, entitled, "Poems: Come as You Are No Longer Wayward Blondie (His Lost Cardigan): Lost Poems in the American Night Poetry by Doug Sparks" but now you ain't getting jack.

Kevin said...

I guess I'll have to content myself with the collected works of Jewel.

p.s.

I think you were being a little hasty when you made that decision and should reconsider.