Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A holly jolly Christmas

I had a wonderful Christmas, I'm happy to report. Spira and I exchanged gifts in the morning, something we'd never done before. After that, I headed to my parent's house for gifts and brunch. I played with my nieces and drank eggnog. Everyone was in good spirits.

From there we went to my grandmother's house. Apparently we were a bit late, and there seemed to be a little tension in the room, but it faded quickly, though, and everyone enjoyed each other's company. I don't think I've ever missed a year of going to my grandmother's house for Christmas. She's approaching ninety and it's possible yesterday was the final time Christmas would be spent at her house. It was sad to think of it.

I completed my day at Luke Warm's house. Five of us --- myself, Spira, Luke, Peppy and his girlfriend Alice--- had an amazing dinner. Spira had prepared most of the food earlier in the day, and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Spira's Greek, so much of what she made reflected that. I had baked some cornbread the night before, Peppy made an eggnog pound cake, and Luke whipped up some scallops and sweet potatoes. After dinner, we watched The Return of the King in the living room, with mugs of coffee in hand.

We have plenty left overs and I think I might heat up some spinach pie. I love the holidays.

No comments: