Wednesday, December 27, 2006

In a flash

I got a few gift cards as gifts the other day and today I redeemed a couple of them. They were both from book stores ---Borders and Barnes & Noble---and after all was said and done, I'm now three books heavier. For a while now, I've been interested in reading George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman books but have never seen them around. Last week at Porter Square Books I happened upon Flashman, the first book in the series. I was broke and couldn't afford to buy it, but I was content knowing that I'd be able to find the book in the future. So, what do you think I got today? I got that book and the one that follows it, Royal Flash. I also got Glen Cook's Black Company.

I'm fifty pages into Flashman and so far it's deserving of the hype. The book was written in the sixties and follows the adventures of Harry Flashman, a coward, thief, and whoremonger, circa 1839. In spite of his flaws, he ends up becoming a hero in the military and lucks his way into major historical events. Already, in the first fifty pages, he's been kicked out of school for being "beastly drunk", had sex with his father's mistress, had sex with a fellow soldier's mistress, and cheated at a duel. Not a very nice guy, but the story is damn funny, nonetheless.

No comments: