Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Still and all it would be hours before I would get burned

About five years ago around this time of year and under similar weather conditions, I slipped on a patch of ice on a sidewalk near my place and added insult to an already injured shoulder by landing on it with all of my weight. If memory serves, the first injury was the result of an unfortunate tangled sleeping position. My shoulder had been sore for about a week before I slipped and fell. It took several more for it to feel better. Healing came a year or two later when I began practicing yoga in earnest.

I was out of shape then, not terribly, but the limited amount of attention I was giving my body was evident every time I looked in the mirror. I believe both injuries could have been avoided if I hadn't been so soft, for lack of a more flattering word, not only in body, but mind and spirit, as well.

I am in better shape than I was years ago. My yoga and meditation practices are in full bloom. I'm eating lighter. Last night I went for a brisk two mile walk in the fucking freezing cold. I sought out the more challenging sidewalks, ones narrow, slippery, and rutted haphazardly with marbleized, compacted snow. I moved quickly when I could.

I loved it.

I suppose there are safer methods of exercise, but this suited me just fine. You're forced to be mindful with every step; not a lot of room for the mind to go exploring. It presented the same type of challenges that hiking dicey trails or practicing advanced yoga poses present.

And there's that word "challenge". There are things in life I'm fearful to confront, but I like that I challenge myself on a consistent basis. These walks (I just came back from another one)  have been challenging and rewarding. Winter is not a gentle season, but it has its gifts if you're willing to look it right in the face.

Oh, I never slipped and fell once. Vindication (I guess)!

Anyway

I wish you a pleasant evening, each and every one of you.

No comments: