Monday, February 9, 2015

It's going to be a long, cold winter

Another snow day. It's been snowing since Saturday and won't quit until tomorrow. Another storm in a couple of days maybe. I just read that the snow that's been removed in Boston over the last couple of weeks could fill Gillette Stadium ninety times. Clearly, we are seeing historical snowfall in these parts. And, for some reason, my disposition has been fairly positive. Well, the winter is not over yet; there is time for pathos.

Anyway, I'm in decent spirits because:

1) I haven't had to do much driving in the middle of these storms, save for Saturday night coming home from Spira's (that was a white-knuckled shit show, let me tell you). We've been lucky insofar as the storms have mostly occurred overnight and have been major enough that driving to work has not been an option.

2) Winter, especially brutally cold and snow-fraught ones such as this one, forces you inward. The inner landscapes get more attention and, if you're spiritually inclined (check) and/or introverted by nature (check) it's an opportune and not so uncomfortable time to clean out the basement, so to speak.

3) With all the snowfall, I've been getting a lot of exercise shoveling. Combined with my yoga practice, I've been able to avoid the seemingly requisite weight gain winter engenders. It feels strange saying it, but I may be more enthusiastic about shoveling than my neighbor, Steve. Ok, after reading that last line, I think it was a bit hastily rendered. Even though Steve hasn't been going bat shit crazy with the shoveling and snow-blowing (I think his snow blower broke or something which is fine with me), he's still out there hours and hours and hours and hours and hours shoveling every single fucking flake off his driveway.


Well, I've had it with snow talk. I think we all have. I've noticed fewer Facebook posts about how much the snow sucks. People are beat down and resigned; perhaps the impulse to complain is no longer there. Resignation.



I'll shovel today and I'll finish my Sopranos marathon (I've watched so much, the show appears in my dreams), do some reading, write music. We'll see.


No comments: