Friday, February 20, 2015

Marlena, under Foster Grants, she's undercover from the dawn's advance

I'm listening to Julianna Barwick's The Magic Place and I'm transported to hazy summer days with their hissing summer lawns. Now I'm thinking about Joni Mitchell because she has an album called The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Okay, now I'm back to focusing on Julianna, but just for a bit because I don't want to make this post about her. I want it to be about offshore drilling (hey,it's a valid subject) but even more than that I want it to be about me and my thrilling, inspiring, and possibly sexy life. Anyway, let's wrap this Julianna Barwick business up toot sweet. I associate The Magic Place and it's dreamy looped vocals with summer because it was during one a couple of years ago that I first heard and explored this fine album. Those halcyon summer days seem so far away as I type this in the bleak, battered belly of an unrelenting murderous winter. So, yeah, Julianna Barwick and Joni Mitchell.

Anyway

Today started off with frigid temperatures and my car not starting. Same problem I've had; probably battery/weather related; I wasn't surprised. I had a feeling it would start but it took several more attempts than usual. I'm glad it did because I had work to do at the courthouse in Cambridge that couldn't be put off.

 On my way to Cambridge -white-knuckled driving all the way, thanks to potholes, blind spots and snow narrowed roads- I got to feeling a bit ornery and cynical and crept steadily into big fucking baby territory. Well, children, I caught what was happening and, thanks in large part to my yoga and meditation practice (mindfulness, son!), I snapped out of my malaise enough to enact a healthier, more pleasant mindset.

Matters improved. I maintained the perspective that we're all feeling the weight of winter and its attendant hazards; it's not only me the season is actively trying to murder. Consequently, there hasn't been a welter of positivity being generated (I say that, but I've been fortunate to have been around quite a bit of it). As a so-called spiritual person, I figured I should put my money where my mouth is and be am agent of light or, at the very least, not a fucking whiny baby prick. So I took every opportunity I could to offer someone a smile, share a kind word, help out in some way.

I had some issues with the copy machine at the registry of deeds and asked the woman at customer service for assistance. She admitted she was just covering for someone and didn't know how to use the copier. She sounded overwhelmed, a bit anxious. I let her know it was no big deal that I was in no rush. We had a nice conversation and she mellowed out a bit. I felt as light as a feather talking with her. When I left the registry, I helped an elderly woman insert coins in a meter (she couldn't reach it because of a snow bank). Lighter, still.

The rest of the day presented similar small-stuff -that -ain't-so-small opportunities to brighten some one's day that I took advantage of. And by doing so, my day was brightened. Giving is receiving. Sometimes I really get it, like I did today; other times, not so much. Whatever. We're fallible.

Anyway,

So my day didn't start off with a bang but it turned out swell. I am home, it's Friday. I had a deep yoga session followed by a dinner of my own sweet potato extravaganza recipe (it's my most cherished accomplishment in life, no shit). I'm about to have a mug of warm, creamy spiced chai with cashew milk that I'm sure will provoke a state of sustained ecstasy within me.

Not so bad.

Alright, I'm out of here, cherubs. I was going to brag about how I've been taking cold showers all winter like a boss but I've already filled my bragging quotient with my tale about how I was able to rise above all the negativity and shine my golden light down upon my flock like my pal JC. The story of my cold shower toughness will have to wait until next time.

 Stay tuned!

Toodles, Jacobites.

2 comments:

Kate said...

For some reason, despite all of the harsh weather we've endured this winter, I've been lucky enough to avoid (for the most part) the symptoms of SAD that I experienced hard core last winter. Even if you feel like you're bragging, take heart in knowing that it reminds me to stay positive and not to complain too much about that which I have no control. After all, the winter can't last forever! (Can it?)
I would love to hear more about this sweet potato extravaganza and what else it contains; it certainly sounds good. I'm also curious which is better cashew milk or almond milk? Occasionally, I've had almond milk in a takeout coffee but not by itself. My sister and my aunt are lactose intolerant so I wouldn't be surprised if I develop that allergy someday too.

Kevin said...

The cashew milk is delicious, but I'm biased because I absolutely adore cashews.

The potato recipe involves different types of sweet potato ( there's one from Japan I've been eating and it tastes like cake), russet potatoes, chick peas, black beans, fresh cut tomatoes, mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts, and sometimes other ingredients. I top it off with homemade tzatziki.
I spice it with dill and crushed red pepper. I made it tonight. It was the best.