Sunday, August 3, 2014

Come run, jump, skip a long Sam, what a happy man I am

I don't think I've slept late once since I've been staying here. The latest I get up is between nine and nine thirty. That's what happens when you're taking care of a dog. I'm more or less fine with this arrangement - if I feel like I need more sleep, I compensate with a nap if I'm able - and besides, I get more time in the day for love making and ruminating about life and what not. For example, it's only 11:30 and I've already taken Missy D out, had breakfast, tidied up, gone to the grocery store, made tzatziki and chopped watermelon, and possibly even laid the groundwork for a new religion. Even though I've so far not been in accordance with the general idea of the sabbath, according to which rest and relaxation are central, I plan on aligning myself to it very soon.

While watching The Story of Film the other day, it occurred to me that Spira has Hulu Plus on her Apple TV, which has the entire Criterion Collection on it. For those of you who aren't aware of what that is, I'll explain: Criterion puts out all sorts of cool, often restored, foreign and classic movies. I had totally forgotten that Hulu Plus had this feature, which is understandable because much of what they offer is crap, so when the realization struck, it was a true moment of satori. I perused the library of movies yesterday and was in hog heaven. The first film I started watching was Satyajit Ray's The Music Room. I'm about half way through; I'll finish it today. And there's a bunch of Ozu and Kurosawa films and....damn, so effin' much!
--
I was thinking about how much my social landscape has changed. Many of my friendships are only so in name only; not too many are active, tangible. Things change, people come into your life, people exit your life. I'm not always pleased with the changes, but to use an expression I thought I'd never use, it is what it is. And, look, I'm changing too; I enter and exit peoples lives; it's a great big dance we're all engaged in.

Sometimes it seems to me that social media sites, particularly Facebook, are downright insidious in that they present the illusion of community when in fact they peddle empty calories. This can fuck you up. On the one hand, you've got this feeling like you have a network of friends and that feels reassuring. You may even communicate with these people from time to time. Underlying that, though, when you look at it closely, is the reality that many of these friendships lack substance.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of interaction on Facebook. While it may be a fruitful experience for others - clearly it is - it hasn't been my experience. Most of what I've ever posted goes unnoticed, and the posts that don't tend to have a limited reach and lack momentum. Still, I occasionally post stuff and occasionally an interaction will take place. Mostly though, the fish ain't biting and, you know, that's alright because I've assessed the landscape and made it alright in my mind. When I post songs that I've put effort into, that I'm proud of, and I barely get any feedback, I'm ready for it. It is what it is (okay, that's the last time).

One last thing about social media. I'm not against it at all and, contrary to my what I wrote above, a site like Facebook provides a window into my friend's lives that I wouldn't ordinarily have access to. Sure, there's a lot of vaguebooking attention grabs, pictures of food, and a welter of cat and puppy memes, but there is substance to be found, too. It is what it is (fuck, I did it again!)

Well, it's time to go read about the occult. See ya', homies!

No comments: