Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ain't no water in the water fountain

I've been inspired lately, musically speaking - perhaps it's the result of spring's arrival, I don't know - and I'm planning on finishing up a hoard of older songs and barreling forward with new ones. Also in the works are more shows. Playing music is my calling and whether it's lucrative, it's as much a part of me as anything else. There were a couple of months there when I played very little, and part of that had to do with the lackluster response my Ignore Emporium FB page generated. Look, it's a tough racket being artistically inclined: on the one hand, you're sensitive to the elements and on the other you've got to be thick-skinned when you share what you do with the public. Yes, I was a bit discouraged - it happens from time to time - but I never doubted my abilities and never again will I stop doing what I'm made to be doing because of what other people think.  And, you know, fuck 'em. I've got a few people that appreciate what I do and have been supportive and, when my music garners more exposure, there will be more than a few.

Last weekend was busy. The week leading up to it was white-knuckled with various worries and sundry. I was pro-active, though, and took care of myself the best I could. I put up a guitar lessons ad on Craig's List on Thursday (only got one response, but it looks like I've got a gig). Spira helped me update my resume and hash out some work possibilities. I just read an interview in Vanity Fair with Biz Stone, the founder of Twitter, and in it he spoke about how poor he was before Twitter. He described those days as being bone on bone I know of what he speaks. But I'm sick of living that way and I'm not going to let my situation beat me. I'm adjusting my vibration to a higher frequency, y'all.

So a busy weekend. I went to Spira's after work on Friday, ostensibly to work on my resume, but we put it off until Sunday, which was okay with me. Instead, she treated to dinner at Atwood's in Cambridge (one of our favorite places) followed by a viewing of Windy City Heat back at her place. I needed the funny. When I arrived at her place, I was feeling raw and edgy, but she  helped me through it. What a friend!

On Saturday, I picked up Nana and headed to my mother's place and from there we drove all the way to Ashburnham to attend my nephew's first communion. Leading up to the event, I had been pouty about going; it had been a tough week for me and the prospect of spending a whole day doing stuff I'd rather not be doing was not something that filled me with glee. Still, I made the best of it and the day turned out to be alright, albeit long.

I'm not a church guy and if it wasn't for the eye candy on display (i.e. pretty women if you hadn't guessed), I would have jumped through one of the stained glass windows after the first hour (it went an hour and a half ). After the proceedings, we went to my sister's house for pizza and dessert. It wasn't terrible, but I wanted to go home. I'm glad I went, though; I love my family and, when I can, I try to be supportive.

I didn't get home until around nine. The driving had been treacherous; torrential rain and flooding - good times! On Sunday, I went back to Spira's and helped her clean her place. I was glad to help, especially considering she paid me for it. On Friday, when we were talking about my financial concerns, she said "Would you be willing to clean my place if I paid you?" I said yes immediately because every little bit helps and I don't mind cleaning as much as she does. So we cleaned for over five hours and I earned my money. And then we worked on my resume for a while. Felt good being productive and not curled up in a ball. Thanks, Spira!

Look a the time! There is more to report, but whatever.Things are looking up; maybe I'll tell you why. Perhaps tomorrow.

Peace

No comments: